Pi equals 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
lets discuss...

Start with google.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Would you guys like to have a polite discussion about whether 1+1 doesn't = 2?
crackmeup2.gif

The Indiana Pi Bill is the popular name for bill #246 of the 1897 sitting of the Indiana General Assembly, one of the most notorious attempts to establish mathematical truth by legislative fiat. Despite its name, the main result claimed by the bill is a method to square the circle, rather than to establish a certain value for the mathematical constant π, the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. The bill, written by amateur mathematician Edward J. Goodwin, does imply various incorrect values of π, such as 3.2.

At school we were taught 22/7, which caused a bunch of my peers no end of grief when it came time to use actual values and significant figures.

Egyptians used 256/81...apparently being 16^2/9^2 simplified some things.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
lets discuss...

Start with google.

crackmeup2.gif

That's easy. 1+1 make 3.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
lets discuss...

Start with google.

crackmeup2.gif

It's the law!

What? One locked topic was not enough for you guys? Remember if you want to be funny, find another forum. Moderator do not look kindly on funny business. They lack humor gene.

Last edited:
What value of Pi constant is programmed in a typical 32-bit computer? How many significant decimal digits are there in the value of Pi on Win32 computer? What will happen if you use Fortran/C formatted print to more significant digits? Would the digits start repeating or the trailing digits would be all zeros?

This is what keeps me awake at night.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
What value of Pi constant is programmed in a typical 32-bit computer? How many significant decimal digits are there in the value of Pi on Win32 computer?

Probably enough sig-figs to get you by.

How do we know for sure that the digits don't start repeating eventually?

Its been proven not to I believe. Shooting from the hip here. You can look it up. I have a whole book on pi and one on e.

What? One locked topic was not enough for you guys? Remember if you want to be funny, find another forum. Moderator do not look kindly on funny business.

UNLESS they start the thread or participate in the thread. Then it's okay.

Originally Posted By: Silk
I think I was taught about Pi in high school, but have never used it in the real world.

You've never had to find the area of a circle?

Can't you ask Google to do it for you? Yes I am half serious but there is a vast majority of population which have zero interest in physics or math or for that matter science. They are able to live their life very happy without exercising that part of their brain.

Can't you ask Google to do it for you? Yes I am half serious but there is a vast majority of population which have zero interest in physics or math or for that matter science. They are able to live their life very happy without exercising that part of their brain.

And they are all oil experts too !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back