High Moly Oils bad for Rocker Arm Needle Bearings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at some UOAs the other day and noticed some oils, like RedLine for example, have higher level of Moly. Should high Moly oils and Moly additives be avoided in engines where rocker arms have needle bearings, like Pentastar V6, for example? IIRC the general consensus is not to use Moly grease in needle bearings. What about the oils?

The only thing to worry about is 'bearing skate'. It's when the bearing experiences such little friction that the needle/roller doesn't even turn, but instead slides or 'skates' in a fixed position. This can cause a flat spot if the needle does this for an extended period of time.

I personally don't think there is a practical concern for the roller in the follower to fail because of this with moly engine oil formulations.

If only was in the same amounts as in grease, but this is less than a tenth of a percent for most, and even in red line doses there are dispersants in the oil helping things move along, when flow of oil should be enough on its own.
Although it is fun to speculate, I get trapped in thoughts like this often.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back