2016 tahoe excessive idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would y'all suggest as an icu for a vehicle that sits and idles for 24 hours a day, it is a security vehicle, might drive 5 miles a day

Prius. Do you really need anything bigger than a glorified golf cart?

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
What is an icu? And is this vehicle gasoline or Diesel powered?

Last I looked, the ICU abbreviation is most commonly used for an Intensive Care Unit. If that is the case, perhaps they need an ambulance?

A couple of years ago there was a thread here on BITOG about some garbage trucks that traveled up and down hilly roads and logged a lot of hours but very few miles because their average speed was something like 5 MPH. The mechanics that did the maintenance were changing the oil often, and the company gave the mechanics a hard time because they thought the mechanics were wasting oil by changing it too often. Then when those engine were only a couple of year old they all failed. It turns out that even though the mechanics were changing the oil with very low miles the hours on the oil, the OCI was way over what they should of been and the engines were damaged because the oil was ran too long.

Last edited:
Oci,not icu...60m dollar company owns the tahoe, my mobile service business is servicing it. Gas engine

Last edited:
Since you are being paid to service it, i would do a monthly change with whatever dexos has the best margin for you.

1 month idlling is about 18,0000 miles if the tahoe stayed at 25mph the whole time. Trans service every 3 to 6 months.

IIRC 1 hour idling = aprox 30miles

in certain motors idling excessively is worse than others.

Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
I thought the OLM took idling, even long idling, into consideration ?

It does. We run service vans for cleaning that rarely get shut off during their shift. We also have some Silverados used for pickup and delivery services.

I have had the Silverados go over 10k if mostly highway miles.

The service vans all light the OLM at around 4k miles. Engine life in both is nearly indefinite, with the occasional outlier...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back