4. Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull Racing, 117
5. Kimi Raikkonen, Scuderia Ferrari, 98
Constructors
1. Mercedes AMG Petronas, 330
2. Scuderia Ferrari, 275
3. Red Bull Racing, 174
4. Sahara Force India, 95
5. Williams Martini Racing, 41

For more, including track data, analysis, and video please check out my full post on For more, including track data, analysis, and video please check out my full post on TOV Motorsports.

68348098ba8a881b22fa40c9cd50677b.jpg

With first and second separated by one point, things are going to get interesting. F1 drivers have in the past been more than willing to win the title by some pretty shady stunts.

McLaren Honda looking quite decent, all things considered.

Red Bull is strong, as I expected them to be here with such an aerodynamically efficient chassis.

This circuit will likely not suit the longer wheelbase and heavier weight of the Merc.

Palmer, FFS! GTFO.

I'm also thinking Giovinazzi is overrated. There are enough drivers in the pool with too few seats, it may be time to move on.

Palmer must be feeling the pressure right now. He needs a weekend with at least a lot of luck, and I don't mean bad luck. I guess Martin Brundle is taking this weekend off, too, which is unfortunate.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Wow, great qualifying results! Love the Ferrari lockout on the front row.

It was great to see. I loved listening to Hamilton afterward. He was like a lost child. I hope both Red Bull's pound him at the start.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: dparm
Wow, great qualifying results! Love the Ferrari lockout on the front row.

It was great to see. I loved listening to Hamilton afterward. He was like a lost child. I hope both Red Bull's pound him at the start.

Did they ever say what the 'tire vibration' he had on two sets was all about? Suspension problem or something else maybe?

Originally Posted By: gofast182
I'm also thinking Giovinazzi is overrated. There are enough drivers in the pool with too few seats, it may be time to move on.

Speaking of reserve drivers, my skepticism was warranted. Autosport's indication that di Resta wouldn't be eligible to drive is clearly wrong. When it was announced that he would be filling in for Massa, they were saying he had his paperwork in order. Paul must be having a fun weekend, filling in for Martin and Felipe, being a reserve broadcaster and reserve driver.

What was their first clue? I'm sure Sir Frank knows well enough to have reserve drivers with appropriate licensing. In any event, cutting testing back the way they have has clearly had unintended consequences. Getting the mileage for a Super License when testing is all but forbidden makes things difficult. With respect to Giovinazzi, Ferrari credited him with helping get the setup right overnight, working most of the night in the simulator to test various setups for both cars.

As for Hamilton, he claims he likes competition. But, whenever he isn't on the front row lately, he moans that the Ferraris are going to be taking off into the distance.

Autosport and Sky are getting a little annoying with their fawning on Hamilton and Red Bull. Ferrari has one bad moment, and commentators and stories are coming out about a big decline. Red Bull has one good session, and all of a sudden they're expected to be second in the constructors' tally. Fortunately, Vettel had other things to say about the matter on Saturday.

Kudos to the NBCSN crew for making this race sound exciting. NOTHING happened on the track except for Verstappen screwing up (what else is new?) and the drama of team orders. Good time for a break.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
NOTHING happened on the track except for Verstappen screwing up (what else is new?)

I think it may be time for that kid to sit out a race.... Or 2. This has gone far enough. He's gone from driving aggressively, to driving like an idiot.

Kudos to the NBCSN crew for making this race sound exciting. NOTHING happened on the track except for Verstappen screwing up (what else is new?) and the drama of team orders. Good time for a break.

Agreed. Nothing at all happened in the last 20 laps but they sure did run what might happen straight into the ground. I guess that's their jobs, but it got old.

And I like these guys.

Originally Posted By: billt460
NOTHING happened on the track except for Verstappen screwing up (what else is new?)

I think it may be time for that kid to sit out a race.... Or 2. This has gone far enough. He's gone from driving aggressively, to driving like an idiot.

I thought that also until I saw it from his onboard camera. He really didn't do anything that wrong. He just had a brief lockup in a corner during a hectic first lap. He sure didn't run in there recklessly and torpedo Ricciardo. It was just bad luck it was his teammate and that he hit him in such a vulnerable place on his car. It sucks but that's racing.

Originally Posted By: Garak
As for Hamilton, he claims he likes competition. But, whenever he isn't on the front row lately, he moans that the Ferraris are going to be taking off into the distance.

So when it happens, he looks like a genius. And if he beats them, he looks like a hero. Win-win for Hamilton. I know you know this.
wink.gif

He's not the first driver (or rider) to work the press in order to make himself look good regardless of the race result. He's just so obvious about it which is another reason why I hate the guy.

I was really surprised that Mercedes swapped Hamilton and Bottas back at the last minute. Yes, Hamilton was more of a threat to the Ferraris then Bottas was earlier in the race so letting him have at it was a good call, but Bottas never picked up the pace and was something like 8 seconds behind at the end so you can pretty much assume that Hamilton would have passed him anyway. So good on them for keeping things within the team fair and square, but it sure didn't seem like Bottas earned 3rd place today.

Alonso Sainz scrap? Perez Occon? [censored], Alonso was top 6 *and* fastest lap. Sure it wasn't the punchiest race up the front, but there was stuff going on if you kept an eye on it.

I was gutted for Ric. It certainly wasn't a deliberate move but it was another "try and stuff it up the inside and [censored] it up". Even Horner said if Ric hadn't been there Ver would not have even made the corner.

Anyway, summer break withdrawal begins prior to my fav track. Plenty to talk about over the next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back