For sale, $260,000 Ferrari, low miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
"A fool and his money are soon parting"

Making insurance more expensive for the rest of us......
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

It appears that if the Ferarri protected the driver in that very severe crash one could say it was a very good car. It's easier to accept a totaled car no matter its value than it would be to accept being dead.

This kind of thing happened to a Bugatti Veyron owner from Dubai and this with a much more expensive car than the Ferarri. In this case, there was no need to feel bad for the driver. The Veyron was towed away and he went home to get his other Veyron. He could have opted for one of his Lambo's or his Koenigsegg and he might have picked his Pagani. If it was later in the day he might have selected his Maybach limo. Money and stupid often become newsworthy.

I've read many similar stories about high powered Italian cars. A couple years ago a guy killed himself and a passenger in a new Lambo he had purchased that morning. Too many people overestimate their driving ability and fail to respect the power of these exotic machines.

I think some of these machines should require special training. I think something like the 1995 Cobra R required a racing license to purchase (at least at first).

I guess any vehicle is dangerous in the wrong hands, but some of the cars being made today are rockets with low barriers to entry.

Last edited:
A guy I went to high school with got a new Corvette from his parents after his freshman year of college and promptly killed one of my friends when they went out to see how fast it was. I heard that the driver suffered brain damage, don't know the rest of his story as I did not care to inquire about his health after what he did.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
A guy I went to high school with got a new Corvette from his parents after his freshman year of college and promptly killed one of my friends when they went out to see how fast it was. I heard that the driver suffered brain damage, don't know the rest of his story as I did not care to inquire about his health after what he did.

It's all too common for people to get in over their heads with a new machine they're not familiar with. I lost one of my best friends in Highschool, when he got a Camaro for his 16th birthday, and crashed it while seeing how fast it was, a couple days later, killing himself. To this day, I think about him every time I pass the spot where it happened.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I think some of these machines should require special training. I think something like the 1995 Cobra R required a racing license to purchase (at least at first).

I guess any vehicle is dangerous in the wrong hands, but some of the cars being made today are rockets with low barriers to entry.

They require common sense but obviously lacking. The cars are plenty safe especially with modern traction and skid controls holding these cars back until switched off.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: HemiHawk

They require common sense but obviously lacking. The cars are plenty safe especially with modern traction and skid controls holding these cars back until switched off.

Yeah, you don't test the limits of any car from jump.
You feel it out if you have any sense at all.
There are plenty of fairly cheap cars that'll outperform the fabled big blocks of the largely illusory muscle car era of days of yore.
Any driver should gradually open up the envelope with any new fastish car.
To do otherwise is to invite disaster.
Three pedals used to be a requirement in anything seriously fast. These days, few really fast cars even offer real manual transmissions, so a major barrier to entry for the truly ham-fisted and clueless buyer with more money than driving ability has been removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back