Sinopec Synthetic 15W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thoughts about this oil? Seems like a good deal at $56 per 5 gallons ($11.20 per gallon) and has a number of specifications on it. I have plenty of CJ-4 for the next 10 OCs or so, but thought I would pass it on:

Sinopec Synthetic 15W-40

71DJeWrnGoL._SL1500_.jpg

The description says it is a synthetic blend but some guy in the reviews says it is full synthetic?

Its regular 15w40,

I can usually find delvac,delo, or rotella for ~$12 so name brand for a buck more? I'd pass on the t600..

Chinese state owned oil company trying for a sizable market share in a number of areas ...
Personally I prefer real companies traded in the market and not having it both (or more) ways ...
(Yes I know they are listed blah blah) ...

look carefully at the picture. "18L"; that is 18.99 qt. Last time I did the arithmetic 5 gal was 20 qt.
Trying to cut corners by shorting a quart/liter?

Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
look carefully at the picture. "18L"; that is 18.99 qt. Last time I did the arithmetic 5 gal was 20 qt.

Charlie
Good catch-there's a lot of weird stuff going on there-Amazon advertising a syn blend as a full syn, and 18 liters as 5 gallons, in addition to being a Chinese manufacturer.

I've used Sinopec 5 gallons grease. Usually don't buy Chinese lubricants but my supplier substituted for my usual Mag1 grease due to a back order.

I suppose the grease was fine. It was slippery. I personally wouldn't trust a Chinese oil product. The grease is used on the slider booms on my tow trucks and for pivot points--not chassis or wheel bearings. So really anything slippery works.

Personally. I wouldn't buy their oils. Just can't trust what's in it.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: m37charlie

Charlie
Good catch-there's a lot of weird stuff going on there-Amazon advertising a syn blend as a full syn, and 18 liters as 5 gallons, in addition to being a Chinese manufacturer.

How is it cutting corners by shorting a quart/ liter? The container says 18L. If the container in fact has 18L inside of it the there is no shorting. If the container claims to have 18L and has less than 18L that's fraud and shorting.

Just because it's in a bucket doesn't mean the bucket will be 5 gallons, especially since the US is pretty much the only place measuring things in gallons. Sinopec is a Chinese company and if you go to China buckets of things are typically in 18L quantities. Everything from sauces to soap to oil.

Last edited:
The item listing description is where it says "5 gallons" so it doesn't match the advertisement. It could be an Amazon.com typo error since they are the listed seller.

Thoughts?

1) it passed API; listed.

2) it's sourced from an area that I am very skeptical of based on experiences in Quality Control Engineering and Supplier Quality Assurance

It would make me feel better to pull a VOA from each pail. But then the cost advantages disappears ...

I don't doubt it's OK oil ...

But I have been amazed at some of the very sketchy lubricants that come out of Harbor Freight engines, pumps, etc.

I ALWAYS change them immediately.

They usually run fine on USA oil. But the OEM oils are just weird black semi-slippery something - don't look good, or smell good ...
frown.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Thoughts?

1) it passed API; listed.

2) it's sourced from an area that I am very skeptical of based on experiences in Quality Control Engineering and Supplier Quality Assurance
Singapore has poor quality control?

I don't believe the lubes are blended in downtown Singapore.

"GreatWall Lube Oil Company" as listed in People's Republic of China. Can be found under Tulux for Sinopec. Bejing. I don't know where you got Singapore but I don't see it.

Last edited:

"GreatWall Lube Oil Company" as listed in People's Republic of China. Can be found under Tulux for Sinopec. Bejing. I don't know where you got Singapore but I don't see it.
The manufacturer is Sinopec Lubricant (Singapore) Pte. Ltd.

It IS.

I certainly understand now why you stated it; clearly in print. You are right.

But I am very skeptical of it's origin, and the disparity of what the label states vs. what they submit to the API now only furthers my distrust.

Here's the API listing:
https://engineoil.api.org/Directory/EolcsResultsDetail?accountId=-1&companyId=10156&resultsUrl=%2FDirectory%2FEolcsResults%3FaccountId%3D-1%26brandName%3Dtulux

Might be a great fluid; might not.

I'd take a VOA before running it, just to make sure.

Last edited:
But I am very skeptical of it's origin, and the disparity of what the label states vs. what they submit to the API now only furthers my distrust. Might be a great fluid; might not. I'd take a VOA before running it, just to make sure.
I am going to assume the parent company could be in China, but there is a subsidiary in Singapore. You are quite fond of stating that one can take any API certified oil and obtain the same results as a premium synthetic so why would this oil need a VOA before use? Are you suggesting the API certification is invalid or faked somehow or that the oil does not meet API CJ-4? No sarcasm, just trying to understand what you are saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back