2017 Ford F350 powerstroke 6 speed transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can it be that the drain/fill requirement for this transmission is at 150,000 miles and there no no extra requirements for severe service? Normal operating temps for this transmission are about 200 degrees unloaded.

Am I missing something or is this normal and ok?

Something is not right. I can't believe tranny construction has come that far as to make it a near lifetime fill like many cars try to do.
My 99 is like 30k severe. Well dah, the old girl can haul over 15k.

The transmission fluid is thermostatically controlled, so yes 200f is normal operating temp. I currently have roughly 65,000 mi. on my '15 and plan to follow the owners manual.

A drain and fill on these transmissions won't get you much of an exchange as the thermostat needs to be open, hence the need for the dealer heated flush machine.

These transmissions have proven nearly bulletproof since their debut, no need to fret, just drive and smile.

Originally Posted By: buzzy3
How can it be that the drain/fill requirement for this transmission is at 150,000 miles and there no no extra requirements for severe service? Normal operating temps for this transmission are about 200 degrees unloaded.

Am I missing something or is this normal and ok?

As someone on this forum said the "service manauals are written by marketing and sales teams", your judgment is paramount since autos are big investments and driven to work/job every day needing it to be on top shape.

Parts and labor are outrageous and there is no gaurantee neglected vehicles can be bought back to life.

Some folks have gotten most of their investment with simple and judicious preventive maintainence which are very simple and cost effective.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Fords and most cars these days are engineering marvels. They are engineered for assembly, not to be repaired

There are no bad boys which fit this argument than Euro & BMWs and Coopers. I was told to replace an alternator on a Cooper costs $1500 as there are a lot of components needing disassembly before even getting to the alternator. Now BMWs, one cannot stick a finger in, which truly fits this argument of over-engineered, massively troublesome, costly repair POS vehicles.

I expected to find lots of people reporting transmission issues with this type of a maintenance schedule...but I have not.

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll watch the fluid quality closely, and maybe a flush/fill schedule of 50,000 miles would make me feel better. This still amazes me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back