The one time,

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have only had one in the past 20 years that stuck, and that was about a year ago.
I did catch it though.

Bet you never forget to check again.
At least it didn't leak out during use and blow the engine.

Originally Posted By: Taildragger
Couldn't add the photos but I dumped about 4 quarts of M1 on the shop floor. Ugghh!

Oh no!

Had that problem a lot with cartridge filters when I was just a lil grease monkey. You knew to ALWAYS look for the gasket left up there. Now where heading back to cartridge filters and ditching the spin ons.

The Vette SB I had shoehorned into a 74 Vega had camel hump heads (2.02I) and the filter boss was for the old loaded cartridge - like your Home's #2 Fuel Oil Tank filter setup.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

The Vette SB I had shoehorned into a 74 Vega had camel hump heads (2.02I) and the filter boss was for the old loaded cartridge - like your Home's #2 Fuel Oil Tank filter setup.

Mr. Gasket makes an adapter that bolts up pin place that lets you use a FL-1A spin-on.
Did that to my ol' 283.

I try to make sure to always look at the old filter. If I don't, I still rub my finger around the machined metal flange to check for burrs. If there's rubber left behind, it won't be hard to find.

An engine I worked on for quite a while had different spin on filters. One filter (turbo soakback) would leave its gasket 50% of the time. It was kind of a PITA to do, so you only did that once.

got bit by this once when I was younger...took a fram ocod off & didn't check before putting on new filter (another fram ocod), start engine & almost 3 qts spill onto parking lot! landlord was [censored]...sopped up what I could and agreed to remove rest with degreaser (?simple Green?); a few times I used autolite filters (commercial frams) on the motorcycle for shorter OCI's during storage...every time the gasket stuck to engine case;each time I got into habit of looking & feeling to prevent issue

Originally Posted By: Taildragger
Couldn't add the photos but I dumped about 4 quarts of M1 on the shop floor. Ugghh!

You unknowingly did yourself a favor IMO--best place for M1 IS on the shop floor
Steve

Being a long time member of BITOG I've learned to make sure the oil filter gasket is removed with the filter. Then I clean the filter mounting surface and then lube the oil filter gasket with SYNTHETIC oil, not taking any chances
lol.gif
lol.gif
. This site has made me an*l
lol.gif
lol.gif
!

Whimsey

I never saw a gasket stick on the wrong side, whether with cartridge or spin-ons. A stuck spin-on gasket would be hard to miss if you cut the old filter apart, as I often did, or if you felt and wiped the mounting flange to be sure it was free of migrating dirt, as I usually did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back