60R vs 65R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will this make ant significant difference on a little 2015 Chevy Sonic . A few MPH ?

Thanks , :)

Last edited:
My guess is about a 3% difference in diameter and circumference going up or down 5% in the aspect ratio. Probably well within the existing speedo/odometer margin of error.

I think the possibility exists that your speedo isn't true to begin with so I'd probably worry more about staying within about a 3% diameter increase versus how true the speedo is...I went from a 195/50-16 to a 205/50-16 and with only that marginal increase in diameter it corrected the speedo without the possibility of it effecting the wheel electronics.

I'd agree with the idea of testing it against a GPS. Barring that, I don't see staying within 3% increase in diameter ( which used to be the golden figure ) would effect things much.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Will this make ant significant difference on a little 2015 Chevy Sonic . A few MPH ?

Yes, and don't do it.

If I have this right, your car takes 195/65R15. Going down to a 60 series reduces the load carrying capacity and increases the risk of failure.

Besides, most tire shop we won't let you - for legal liability reasons.

ON my Focus I was able to go from 205/50/16's to 205/55/16's with no problems.

Speedo is SLIGHTLY out, and tires look a little "meatier" than the last set but the shop had no problems installing them. I just hope I dont' have any clearance issues once I drop the suspension next month by .5 inches.

21.gif

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister

It's less rubber, you'll be lower to the ground and tire will rotate more revs per mile. None of it overly significant with this size tire. They'll be a lighter tire and pushing the vehicle lower to the ground *may* increase fuel economy. There's a lot of factors at play though. I might consider it if it was some smoking deal on an excellent tire.

Personal anecdote with topic sizing. 01 Civic OEM size 185/65-15. In 2004 Honda went to 195/60-15 on the same vehicle, no major redesign, same generation. First set of tires I purchased for it at Discount Tire was the 195/60-15, in 04 iirc. I preferred the slightly wider tire over the narrower oem. Discount Tire has never questioned it, and I've used the 60 series tire on it since with each DT purchase. Including current, four sets total.

Normally I stick with the oem size, but on that vehicle the 60 series has worked well. That said, your results could be different.

stock size is 195/65-15, right?

Are you trying to go down to 195/60-15? Because if that's what you're trying to do, you can't do that since the new tires will have a lower load index than the original tires
31.gif

Load index is a rating that corresponds to the amount of weight a tire can carry safely. So you can see why no tire shop will let you do it, and why it's unsafe.

Here are some good tires that you should like, in the correct size:
Goodyear Excellence
Vredestein Sportrac 5

Can you wait a month for the new tires? Because DTD will have their Labor Day sale the last week of August, leading up to labor day. Price is NOT a good reason to change tire size, especially a reasonably-common size like 195/65-15.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back