17' Hyundai Tuscon (Oil suggestions )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a new Tuscon 1.6T, Being a Tech for many years,I'll be doing the oil changes on my own and I'm getting ready for my 1st.
As the vehicle is new,I don't have SI on this vehicle yet on Identifix and would like recommendations on viscosity and brand to use.
The info in the OM is vague to say the least,but they keep on scaring me with their ACEA a5 rating they have listed.
I've also read the forums to find info, and called up 3 different (Florida) dealerships to see what they are using.
One says it's using 5w-30 (full syn) and the other's are at 5w-20 (semi-syn)...Probably Quaker State considering it's recommended under the hood.
Now I'm confusing myself even more. This shouldn't be so hard to figure out,lol.

Anyway, what I was thinking is 5w-20 Castrol Edge (or Ext.Perf) with the OE filter at 5000 mile intervals,but I'm looking at all opinions and options.Hence,one of the the reason I joined BITOG.
Thanks in advance,
John-

Does it have the DCT?

15.gif

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Does it have the DCT?

15.gif

Yes...and so far i'm liking it.Nice ride.

QS stated under the hood !

If you also want to save $$$ then QSUD 5w30 perhaps if thats what the manual says.

Qsud is 21 bucks for 5 quarts at walmart and 7 dollar rebate from qs.
Pp 5w30 is 25 at walmart and 10 dollar rebate from pennzoil.

I rented one this week, i liked it, it was a 1.6 or 2.0 Diesel, i would not mind owning one.
If i'm not mistaken this is a Direct injection gas engine in yours, if so i would use Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 as it has been shown to work well in other DI engines.
And it meets A5 afaik.

Use 5w40 or 0w40 (most likely easier to find over the pond) and with A3/B4... MB 229.5....Bmw LL-01... Euro specs...

OCI on 7500-10.000kms <----MAX!!!

Go with Pennzoil Platinum if sticking with SOPUS as QSUD doesn't list ACEA A5 as a spec. Since the OCi are so short, per the OM, I wouldn't sweat the viscosity and just go with what's in the book.

Ironically Hyundai recommends an oil (as you said, QS sticker under-hood and in the OM ) that doesn't meet the spec "required".

I went from 5w-20 Valvoline bulk Premium Conventional to DYI Pennzoil Plantinum 5w-30 on my Elantra. I like it. Not noticing drop in mileage. Dealer uses whoever they have a contract with and mine is with Valvoline. The label under the hood listing Shell Hellix or Quaker State seems to be more about marketing on the oil companies part.

I would seriously consider Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum in 5w30. Both of these oils meet the Acura/Honda TURBO spec. (forgot the nomenclature). I would not use any oil that is not approved during the warranty period however. Ed

Is it true that the car in question can also take 5w40 for warranty purposes?
If so and you are in florida i dont know if i wud go 5w30.

Interesting...
Put your car in Mobil 1 oil selector it came back with"Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 5W-30 or 5W-40 viscosity and oil that meets ACEA A5/B5. We currently do not offer any motor oils in the United States that meet these specifications."

Quaker State selector,"Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W-30 Full Synthetic
is recommended for your HYUNDAI (US)"

Pennzoil selector, " Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30

Strange that nothing for your car came up on Castrol site.

Use M1 in DI turbo - less calcium so should be better to prevent LSPI .
Originally Posted By: Eddie
I would seriously consider Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum in 5w30. Both of these oils meet the Acura/Honda TURBO spec. (forgot the nomenclature). I would not use any oil that is not approved during the warranty period however. Ed

Originally Posted By: Stevie
Interesting...
Put your car in Mobil 1 oil selector it came back with"Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 5W-30 or 5W-40 viscosity and oil that meets ACEA A5/B5. We currently do not offer any motor oils in the United States that meet these specifications."

Quaker State selector,"Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W-30 Full Synthetic
is recommended for your HYUNDAI (US)"

Pennzoil selector, " Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30

Strange that nothing for your car came up on Castrol site.

I hear ya'. Like I've mentioned, this should be an easier decision to make.
Been getting conflicting responses everywhere I go,lol.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
I rented one this week, i liked it, it was a 1.6 or 2.0 Diesel, i would not mind owning one.
If i'm not mistaken this is a Direct injection gas engine in yours, if so i would use Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 as it has been shown to work well in other DI engines.
And it meets A5 afaik.

Very quiet/ smooth ride to be honest. Only have 1200 on the clock, so still breaking it in.
Yes, this is a GDI Turbo.

Originally Posted By: johnpawl
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
And it meets A5 afaik.

Very quiet/ smooth ride to be honest. Only have 1200 on the clock, so still breaking it in.
Yes, this is a GDI Turbo.

I did about 500 Km ( 300 miles ) with it in the 5 days i rented it, not bad on an Island where you cannot go 60 miles in any given direction... very smooth and quiet ride on the highway.

Mine is different, 2010 Hyundai 2.4L
Although the oil cap has 5w-20 and the book recommends QS, I been running PYB 5w-30 for some time now. Have over 131k on the clock and no thoughts going to 5w-20 since the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back