Ran Coleman generator after sitting for 26 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have two generators, a Generac 2000 Watt inverter, and a 5000 Watt/6250 Watt peak Coleman Powermate with a Tecumseh 10 HP engine. I run the carb dry and then take off the carb bowl and empty out the last bit of gasoline every time I run a generator. I also use Sta-Bil at the recommended dosage of one ounce per 2.5 gallons.

I ran the Coleman today after it sat unused for 26 months. It ran OK. The last time I used it was during a 7 hour outage back in May two years ago. Today it ran with two 1500 Watt electric heaters as the load and it worked OK. I was concerned that it might have lost the residual magnetism but it produced electricity without any problems. So it looks like it can sit for 26 months and still work properly when needed.

I've got a VERY old Coleman (bright green) with a 8Hp Briggs engine. I think it's from the early to mid 80's. They really built them well back then. It's never caused problems. EVER.

My other Coleman Powermate is much newer (black & red) with a Briggs 10HP OHV engine. The engine runs well, but the generator head is a worthless chunk of trash.

I probably have the same Coleman Powermate 6250 model- purchased new around 2005. Although it works as intended, I feel its overall a piece of [censored]. Very loud, crude, high vibration. Considering I only use it about once a year, it does the job.

One thing I do that you should consider- when you put it away, pull the plug and squirt some engine fogging oil down the cylinder. This keeps residual moisture from rusting the cylinder walls and piston rings. Since I have boats and PWC I usually have a can of fogging oil on hand.

Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
I probably have the same Coleman Powermate 6250 model- purchased new around 2005. Although it works as intended, I feel its overall a piece of [censored]. Very loud, crude, high vibration. Considering I only use it about once a year, it does the job.

One thing I do that you should consider- when you put it away, pull the plug and squirt some engine fogging oil down the cylinder. This keeps residual moisture from rusting the cylinder walls and piston rings. Since I have boats and PWC I usually have a can of fogging oil on hand.

Yes, I used the Sta-Bil fogging oil sprayed down the spark-plug hole and pulled the rope several times with a paper towel over the spark-plug hole. I then replaced the spark-plug and pulled the rope stopping at the beginning of a compression stroke so the valves are closed. This sets the valve springs not to be in full compression, and also with the valves closed moisture can not get into the cylinder.

I usually run my inverter gen monthly, with some load, usually close to an hour. Doesn't use much fuel, but I still use gas with the blue Stabil, just in case I miss months of no usage. I shut the fuel valve after each run and let it die.
Now at the end of the month it's time for the monthly run. Plan is, a longer run and get something out of this time. So it should be about a 6 hour run because the load will be the Masterbuilt electric smoker with a few racks of ribs. So this run should have somewhat of a payback, get to eat smoked ribs. Don't fail me now generator
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
I was concerned that it might have lost the residual magnetism but it produced electricity without any problems. So it looks like it can sit for 26 months and still work properly when needed.

In case if it will lost magnetism some day....just use 12v car battery....and send 2-3 short pulses trough generator conectors to induce its magnetism back
wink.gif

I have a Coleman generator. It has a plastic tank, so dont have to worry about a metal tank rusting. I run it completely out of fuel. I dump a few splashes of fuel in it every couple months to exercise it.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

In case if it will lost magnetism some day....just use 12v car battery....

Most folks plug in something with brushes, Like a drill or grinder... hold the trigger down, and give the wheel/chuck a spin by hand. That always gets it going.

a HEAVY load is NEEDED once in a while - the load increases residual magnetic strength, and burns off carbon deposits from the exhaust valve.

I have a Coleman Powermate 5KW, but it has the Subaru Robin engine. I shut mine down the same as you. Never has failed to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back