Bed liner

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dd is 96 ram 1500, it was kept in a carport its whole life but the tail gate faced the sun.the 2 tone paint still looks great except this area.
I'm considering bed liner what does it cost in your area I'm also considering doing the tailgate . if the cost is too much I may build a bed or put a service body on it.this truck was wife's grandads truck and he raised her, it will be around until parts fall off only has 86 k on it... Truck runs and drives flawlessly

I am not getting the issue. Tailgate paint faded? Bed rusted?

You can roll bedliner on yourself. I painted some on an old garden cart I pull with my tractor and I was impressed.

Maybe a junk yard down south can locate a tailgate off southern truck.

$400 ~ $800 depending on what you want ... If you want the top rails done neatly and the top edge of the gate, it adds. If you want ultra durable hard bed liner, it adds. If you want color, it adds. If they have to take off D rings and stuff in teh corners, it adds. You get the idea
smile.gif

If you want to keep the truck from rusting, some say to get the wheel wells bed-linered too ... Have them do the parts of the bed that sit below and outside of the bed floor - front to back.

The truck will weigh a few more pounds, but be quieter and you can just hose it off pretty easily.

You can also get a kit from Al's Bedliner and do it yourself. I paid about $220 for enough to do my boat sole, and in color (light grey). You need to practice on a wheel barrow or something. But once you get the hang of it, it's good.

Professionals doing hard liner use a hot mixer gun. You can't do that at home. I have a bud with a hard Line-X bed with 230,000 miles and he runs a crane service and general construction company. He has one wear-through from a crane block in the back of his truck. It regularly sees diesel spills and all sorts of stuff dropped and banged around back there. Was worth the premium price
smile.gif

The paint on the tailgate is coming off more and more with each car wash in a fine dust, right next to the tailgate where the bed corner is very small area has the slightest bit of surface rust. It's has a plastic bed liner in it for 20 years although I'm in the South it probably looks terrible underneath ( the toolbox is bolted in I'm going to have to cut the bolts out because of the way it was done bolt in the back of the box facing the cab so I haven't looked yet) I just can't decide whether to get rid of the bed and do something creative or spend the money to line it. The real problem is even though the rest of the bed slash truck looks [censored] good when it's clean I know I'm only two years away from some serious paint deterioration from some things I'm seeing. The trucks probably only worth 3 Grand at best I got about five grand in a built transmission. the two tone paint job on this truck is very appealing in my opinion and it's not worth it to repaint in the same manner as far as truck value goes. I don't really want to paint the bed being the long-term it will be removed for one reason or another I can probably get a service body for the cost of paint slash Rhino liner, at that point it would be way cheaper and way easier just to paint the cab itself and let the bed be whatever it is, essentially I just don't want to spend the money twice. I guess doing a bed liner myself would be the ticket , I just don't want my daily driver to look like [censored] for the time being until I decide to do something with it. I own a mobile repair service which is run out of a trailer right now and pulled by somebody else, but as a semi truck owner and someone who will expand on the service business eventually with the crazy amount of tools I carry the service body is inevitable I think

Last edited:
Sorrylol.... to sum it up if I'm going to drive a 20 year old truck I want it to look nice and I'm torn on how to spend the money wisely on it

I just had this same situation (I started a thread) albeit on a truck just a few years old. I just had it Line-X'd last Tuesday in Gainesville, Ga. The cost was $487 for the regular, no premium or color match. It looks great and I think I made the right choice. I also have a bed cover to help with the sun fading it.

As Donald suggested, I considered doing it myself with a bed-liner kit (there are quite a few to choose from) but my knees wouldn't allow me to get in the back and prep, then install the kit. I understand wanting a 20 year old truck to look as nice as possible. I'd be the same way. But if your capable, I think a bed-liner kit might be all you would need, and from the ones I've seen (trust me I spent two week researching this), it would look fine and offer some protection to your bed. Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back