PP 0W20 vs QSUD 0W20. Compare and contrast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
These two oils look almost identical on paper per PQIA. What's the differences between these two? Is QSUD a GTL,or just a group 3 base? If this has been discussed beyond comprehension,my apologies. I'm just new to this whole 0W20 thing
laugh.gif

Thanks in advance!

From what I have read, the QSUD is rumored to use GTL if there is excess that SOPUS needs to use, but is primarily Grp III.
A very good Group III from UOA and VOA of it.

Pennzoil is the SOPUS Flagship oil, with QS being a mid-level, and Shell the entry level.
All of which are oils I would and have used without issue.

540RAT testing loves the QSUD 0w-20...one of the best oils they've ever tested. The PP version not nearly as well.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
540RAT testing loves the QSUD 0w-20...one of the best oils they've ever tested. The PP version not nearly as well.

I've read the same.... Getting your hands on some locally is a different story...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shurguywutt
Originally Posted By: 69GTX

I've read the same.... Getting your hands on some locally is a different story...

Walmart here has it fully stocked for $19.99 a jug. I almost bought it for price alone.

GTL is a Grp III basestock and the ultra low NOACKs that we saw in early SOPUS GTL formulations are long gone.
M1 AFE 0W-20 has a lower NOACK than does PP as well as lower W end viscosity, like you'll see extreme cold in TX. Check the most recent PQIA UOAs of these two.
Between QSUD and PP, decide whether you prefer a green jug or a yellow one.
I think that either would be a good oil for your Accord and they look to be very close in formulation.

Main differences to me are:

1. GTL base stock for PP, conventional Group III for QSUD

2. PP likely has trinuclear moly (double digit moly ppm) QSUD does not (triple digit moly ppm)

3. PP has about 15% more calcium ppm than QSUD

4. NOACK is close enough to call the same on both these 0W-20 brands.

5. Both are about the same price after rebate at WM with the latest price hike on QSUD

PQIA VOA's on PP 0W-20

http://www.pqiadata.org/Pennzoil_Platinum_0W20_dexos.html

http://www.pqiadata.org/Pennzoil0W20dexos.html

FWIW I never saw any 0W-20 VOA's or PDS with ultra-low NOACK for either PP or QSUD. All data has been in the 9% to 13% range that I saw.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back