Collected Oil Sample - any interest in UOA report?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, I collected a used oil sample from a customer's car and I wanted to check with the audience to see if there's any interest before I send it in.

The sample was from a 2011 Infiniti G37 with 86k miles. The oil was in service for about 4 months and 5,400 miles. The oil was Mobil 1 5W-30. The oil filter was a Genuine Nissan filter, and a pair of Genuine Nissan air filters were installed when the oil was placed into service.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
The VQ37s are known to be a little bit harder on the oil than the VQ35s, but I wouldn't expect anything too crazy from the report.

Originally Posted By: dparm
The VQ37s are known to be a little bit harder on the oil than the VQ35s, but I wouldn't expect anything too crazy from the report.

Why is that?

I agree with dparm on this. Though the VQ 3.5 are not easy on the oil either. Both motors typically shear motor oil down quite a bit. The 3.7s are even tougher on the oil and should really use an oil with esters in it. The DLC on the cylinder walls in the 3.7s do a fair amount better with some group five mixed in.

Nothing to see other than typical high Fe found in M1 junk oil.... oops did I say that out loud?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: planeman223
Originally Posted By: dparm

Why is that?

It's just a high-strung motor.

Middle aged nothing special car with typical miles and a short OCI using a good vanilla oil.
Probably not worth spending any money on a UOA unless you own it.
If you can get the UOA done for free or bill it to the customer, then why not?
Otherwise, probably not worth the cost. No real revelations here. TBN will be around 3.5, there will be more
wear metals than you'd see from any Honda or Toyota V-6 and the oil will have sheared to the bottom of its grade range or a little below.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Middle aged nothing special car with typical miles and a short OCI using a good vanilla oil.
Probably not worth spending any money on a UOA unless you own it.
If you can get the UOA done for free or bill it to the customer, then why not?
Otherwise, probably not worth the cost. No real revelations here. TBN will be around 3.5, there will be more
wear metals than you'd see from any Honda or Toyota V-6 and the oil will have sheared to the bottom of its grade range or a little below.

If you don't mind. I'd really like to know why the Nissan VQ creates more wear metals than Honda and Toyota. Any extra info would be great, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back