Mobil 1 Annual Protection and Dexos 1 Gen 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I emailed the following question to Mobil to confirm Mobil 1 Annual Protection meets Dexos 1 Gen 2:

Question: Does the new Mobil 1 Annual Protection product specifically meet the Gen 2 version of the Dexos 1 specification for the 0W-20 grade?

Answer: Yes, Mobil 1 Annual Protection meets dexos1™ (license number D10108GH015).

It bothers me a bit that the response doesn't specifically say "Gen 2", but I gather from the license number that he's referring specifically to Gen 2.

The problem is nobody allowed to use Dexos 1 Gen. 2 yet, till its release in September. This response sounds typical of the regular phone people. If you want the Dexos 1 Gen 2 logo, you have to wait till them.

Last edited:
The whole thing with M1 and the dexos1 Gen 2 list is very confusing to me...the AP 5W30 also has what seems to be a Gen 2 license, believe it is D10110GH015. But only M1 5W30 vanilla on the official list of oils...

Mobil 1 is trying to skirt being a car manufacturers Patsy and going on thier name but they really are distancing themselves into a private group like Amsoil and Royal Purple where Shell seems to accept to play the game like Pennzoil and Dodge are playing.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Mobil 1 is trying to skirt being a car manufacturers Patsy and going on thier name but they really are distancing themselves into a private group like Amsoil and Royal Purple where Shell seems to accept to play the game like Pennzoil and Dodge are playing.

But M1 outsells the others hands down.

That's quite true, tig1, but it would serve them well not to get complacent. Shell has grabbed a pile of factory fill and dealer service fill business. Castrol is trying to get the Renault Group to consolidate to their lubes for factory fill and service fill worldwide and group wide, instead of the patchwork of Total and Mobil and Castrol and who knows what else.

Originally Posted By: tig1

But M1 is selling their engine oils as being applicable to as many as 20+ OEMs or more...that's fishy, isn't it ???

That's basically what I am saying is Mobil 1 is losing thier lead. They used to have to only compete in the synthetic department with Amsoil. Now everyone is marketing synthetics. Mobil 1 used to court the factories and be factory fill for the high end and performance cars with even cute oil fill caps marked Mobil 1. Mobil 1 is falling on thier face with the annual oil change oil so I really don't know how much oil they are going to sell if they don't get factory sponsor or hit a home run. No matter how good your oil is, if the manufacturer boxes you out with some weird specs you don't want to pay for, your not selling oil to that car owner.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

But M1 is selling their engine oils as being applicable to as many as 20+ OEMs or more...that's fishy, isn't it ???

Fishy?
21.gif

Last edited:
That's basically what I am saying is Mobil 1 is losing thier lead. They used to have to only compete in the synthetic department with Amsoil. Now everyone is marketing synthetics. Mobil 1 used to court the factories and be factory fill for the high end and performance cars with even cute oil fill caps marked Mobil 1. Mobil 1 is falling on thier face with the annual oil change oil so I really don't know how much oil they are going to sell if they don't get factory sponsor or hit a home run. No matter how good your oil is, if the manufacturer boxes you out with some weird specs you don't want to pay for, your not selling oil to that car owner.

M1 still comes as the OEM oil in some of the most expensive vehicles in the world.

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-mobil-advantage/automakers-trust-mobil-1

No matter how good your oil is, if the manufacturer boxes you out with some weird specs you don't want to pay for, your not selling oil to that car owner.

That's one of the reasons I stopped using it in my Jeeps. I like their products a lot, and I know they're good. But, I wasn't going to use Super which meets the spec, and their higher end products which I used don't. I moved back to Pennzoil, which I've used since I first started driving. Their products meets the spec accross their product line.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
No matter how good your oil is, if the manufacturer boxes you out with some weird specs you don't want to pay for, your not selling oil to that car owner.

That's one of the reasons I stopped using it in my Jeeps. I like their products a lot, and I know they're good. But, I wasn't going to use Super which meets the spec, and their higher end products which I used don't. I moved back to Pennzoil, which I've used since I first started driving. Their products meets the spec accross their product line.

That's because the shift to Shell was a monetary move, not a quality move by Chrysler. Remember Chrysler was involved with M1 before. Next on Chryslers list of oil may be Super Tech.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

That's because the shift to Shell was a monetary move, not a quality move by Chrysler. Remember Chrysler was involved with M1 before. Next on Chryslers list of oil may be Super Tech.
grin.gif

I know all about it. Mobil chose not to participate across their product line. Lets call it politics. Maybe if they decide to play I'll switch back. For now they lost my business to Pennzoil. Which I'm 100% confident is just as good, maybe better [we'll never know for sure], and it meets the spec.
wink.gif
For me that mattered at the time.

grin.gif

I'd call it "political," rather than monetary, and no, not quality, as you indicate. The Fiat side of FCA was involved with Shell, and it dictated what was going on, not Chrysler. Thanks to being passed around the way they have, Chrysler has a pretty big mish mash of oil specifications.

Originally Posted By: Garak
grin.gif

I'd call it "political," rather than monetary, and no, not quality, as you indicate. The Fiat side of FCA was involved with Shell, and it dictated what was going on, not Chrysler. Thanks to being passed around the way they have, Chrysler has a pretty big mish mash of oil specifications.

Yeah, i'd love to know why PP "EURO 0w40" doesn't have BMW spec/approval
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the speculation, here at least, has run that they don't want to compete with the actual BMW labelled 0w-40. PP 5w-30 A3/B4, which may only exist on paper, is supposed to be LL-01, along with the 5w-40. Shell needs to address container sizes and availability.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back