Uber, reluctant to become a user

Status
Not open for further replies.
I normally drive myself to the airport and park there. But it can be somewhat tiring after a long flight, etc. So I'm thinking that it's time to emerge from paleolithic mindset and into the 21-st century.

But...

I've heard so many negative things about Uber that I don't really feel confident that that's the solution.

Am I being too old school?

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
I normally drive myself to the airport and park there. But it can be somewhat tiring after a long flight, etc. So I'm thinking that it's time to emerge from paleolithic mindset and into the 21-st century.

But...

I've heard so many negative things about Uber that I don't really feel confident that that's the solution.

Am I being too old school?

How many people use Uber everyday compared to "issues" you have heard? People have problems with Cabbies too-you just don't hear about them.

While I'm not a frequent user of Uber-the two or three times I have used them were quite positive. The drivers are generally very helpful and their vehicles are kept spotless (It's a rule of Uber to keep them clean).

Generally-Uber drivers are students, housewifes or husbands out to make a little extra cash-they must get positive reviews-or they lose the opportunity to drive for Uber.

Taking Uber IS NOT the same thing as using a cab-IMHO.

Last edited:
I've never used it but I have friends that have. All of them love it. If I ever traveled to a big city or something, I might try it.

Most news I hear about Uber is they have very poor employment benefit practices. I have never used Uber.

I prefer to give my service to a traditional cab/limo company.

If you do use Uber then I have heard there are very good discounts available for first time customers.

Uber is 10x better than a cab unless you care about your privacy. You might not be able to avoid Uber in some busy metro areas - in D.C., you'll be rejected by a traditional cab if you want to use credit card or your route isn't profitable enough.

I don't have any complaints about Uber probably used it 15 times. One time I called her an Uber when I was about a quarter of a mile out from my pick-up spot and he beat me there I was already driving. You don't have to have any cash unless you want to tip. The only complaint I can come up with is that the GPS brings the guy to the back of my house which is a street alley thingy, the driver has your phone number he calls and I say turn right and I see his headlights in 10 seconds.

Now if you your wife and your kids all left your house at the same time Uber or a cab could go rob your house but in all fairness your neighbor could watch you leave and do the same thing

I've used Uber and Lyft and I only ran into an issue when a driver didn't know the best route to reach my destination like a cabby would. .

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
I've used Uber and Lyft and I only ran into an issue when a driver didn't know the best route to reach my destination like a cabby would. .

Uber just takes whatever route their GPS says to take.

I like Uber a lot.

In Southern California, the media does not consider negative stories about Uber to be newsworthy. In one case east of San Diego, an Uber driver beat and raped a young female passenger. It turns out that no background check was done or any drug testing. The woman was horribly beaten and thrown out of the car and the story hardly raised a ripple in the media, anywhere. Uber's response was that their legal staff was there to protect Uber but that the driver was an independent contractor and it was up to the driver to provide for his defense and other expenses. The driver was charged with many other sexual assaults including a disabled 13-year-old girl. Uber's response was to go on a massive PR campaign and suddenly offer even greater incentives to new drivers. Later it turned out that no upgrade in background or drug testings was ever introduced into their system.

One example link. Many drivers of this caliber have worked in the Uber system and may be currently working there, now. The turn over is very high. After being hired and working for some period drivers have been fired when criminal records show up during traffic citations, insurance cancellations, and accidents.

Uber is kind of the "in-thing" for people with a smart phone and it's cheaper than a taxi except during "surge-pricing" when it's very much more expensive. Fares on holidays and other busy time have been up to 7 times the published rates. So, just get out your smart phone and go for a ride.

When your wife or other loved one gets into an unmarked car driven by an Uber driver there's a good chance nothing bad will happen. But if it does the outcome will certainly be between you and that individual and the local authorities because Uber does not take part or have any interest in the process.

Uber in my area is around $15 cheaper each way than a cab.

But uber, specifically UberX cars tend to be small and dirty. Odd stains on the seats, dusty, and the car itself can be a loud and rickety mess. I thought they had strict requirements about the vehicles that drivers use but apparently not. One ride was in a 10+ year old Hyundai Santa Fe and a more recent ride was in an Aveo where the AC wasn't reaching the back seats.

In contrast, the shuttles I can take are newer minivans or full size vans and quite clean inside.

Taxis are hit or miss and usually somewhere between an UberX and a shuttle, quality wise.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
In Southern California, the media does not consider negative stories about Uber to be newsworthy. In one case east of San Diego, an Uber driver beat and raped a young female passenger. It turns out that no background check was done or any drug testing. The woman was horribly beaten and thrown out of the car and the story hardly raised a ripple in the media, anywhere. Uber's response was that their legal staff was there to protect Uber but that the driver was an independent contractor and it was up to the driver to provide for his defense and other expenses. The driver was charged with many other sexual assaults including a disabled 13-year-old girl. Uber's response was to go on a massive PR campaign and suddenly offer even greater incentives to new drivers. Later it turned out that no upgrade in background or drug testings was ever introduced into their system.

One example link. Many drivers of this caliber have worked in the Uber system and may be currently working there, now. The turn over is very high. After being hired and working for some period drivers have been fired when criminal records show up during traffic citations, insurance cancellations, and accidents.

Uber is kind of the "in-thing" for people with a smart phone and it's cheaper than a taxi except during "surge-pricing" when it's very much more expensive. Fares on holidays and other busy time have been up to 7 times the published rates. So, just get out your smart phone and go for a ride.

When your wife or other loved one gets into an unmarked car driven by an Uber driver there's a good chance nothing bad will happen. But if it does the outcome will certainly be between you and that individual and the local authorities because Uber does not take part or have any interest in the process.

Thanks Jack,

These are the type of negative news reports I have read about Uber and also about Uber drivers having to take unfair labor practices to court.
Lets face it, Uber is cheaper than a cab and the way to do that profitably is to fleece your drivers and/or hire drivers that are less skilled or un-employable at a traditional cab service.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Uber in my area is around $15 cheaper each way than a cab.

But uber, specifically UberX cars tend to be small and dirty. Odd stains on the seats, dusty, and the car itself can be a loud and rickety mess. I thought they had strict requirements about the vehicles that drivers use but apparently not. One ride was in a 10+ year old Hyundai Santa Fe and a more recent ride was in an Aveo where the AC wasn't reaching the back seats.

In contrast, the shuttles I can take are newer minivans or full size vans and quite clean inside.

Taxis are hit or miss and usually somewhere between an UberX and a shuttle, quality wise.

Uber vehicles cannot be more than 10 years old.......And yes they do have requirements. There seems to be a disconnect with you Uber experiences than others. My Crew Cab Sierra (much more expensive than the Aveo) doesn't have air vents in the back either. And yes it takes awhile to cool down the rear.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Most news I hear about Uber is they have very poor employment benefit practices. I have never used Uber.

If you do use Uber then I have heard there are very good discounts available for first time customers.

Except for in NYC and Boston maybe? Cab drivers get zero benefits because they either own-rent-lease the cab and work as an independent contractor.
One Limo service where I live uses ancient black Lincoln Continentals that looks like they should have been replaced a decade ago.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Except for in NYC and Boston maybe? Cab drivers get zero benefits because they either own-rent-lease the cab and work as an independent contractor.
One Limo service where I live uses ancient black Lincoln Continentals that looks like they should have been replaced a decade ago.

I will take your word for it but it appears that as bad as you describe it for taxi drivers, it might be even worse for Uber drivers based on this lawsuit:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-uber-lawsuit-idUSKCN0YO221

New York Report-
Leasing assured fleets of a pre-determined income for each shift worked. Leasing
also allowed fleets to drop employee benefits which drivers had previously
enjoyed, including health and pension benefits, employer contributions to Social
Security, scholarships, legal services, unemployment insurance and disability
insurance. (Under State law, drivers must be covered by workers compensation.)
• Accounting for both cash income and the value of these benefits, lease drivers
earned less in 1986 than did commission drivers in 1981, after adjusting for
inflation.
With incomes falling and then stagnant, taxi driving became a transient job filled
by an ever-changing mix of immigrants from over 80 countries.

http://www.schallerconsult.com/taxi/taxifb.pdf

To think Taxis are a "cut above" Uber is ridiculous.

I've had very positive experiences with Uber in several cities. It's great for airport trips and if you've had a few at the bar. In smaller NY cities, it's half the cost of local taxi monopolies, and the drivers have been much more professional to me.

I wonder if I could take an uber to the ice wall at the edge of the earth to prove that its flat. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Originally Posted By: CKN
New York Report-
Leasing assured fleets of a pre-determined income for each shift worked. Leasing
also allowed fleets to drop employee benefits which drivers had previously
enjoyed, including health and pension benefits, employer contributions to Social
Security, scholarships, legal services, unemployment insurance and disability
insurance. (Under State law, drivers must be covered by workers compensation.)
• Accounting for both cash income and the value of these benefits, lease drivers
earned less in 1986 than did commission drivers in 1981, after adjusting for
inflation.
With incomes falling and then stagnant, taxi driving became a transient job filled
by an ever-changing mix of immigrants from over 80 countries.

http://www.schallerconsult.com/taxi/taxifb.pdf

To think Taxis are a "cut above" Uber is ridiculous.

One...you are citing a report from when?
Two...you have not provided any information on Uber drivers so you can't make the claim what is ridiculous or not.
Three...this report is specific to NY. Its a big country and I take taxis in several parts of the Midwest, Rockies and West Coast and they all say they are better off driving taxis an limos than driving for Uber.
Four...chill out.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I've had very positive experiences with Uber in several cities. It's great for airport trips and if you've had a few at the bar. In smaller NY cities, it's half the cost of local taxi monopolies, and the drivers have been much more professional to me.

I wonder if I could take an uber to the ice wall at the edge of the earth to prove that its flat. Anyone have thoughts on that?

I have heard that Uber is the easiest method of getting home from a night at the bars.

I have some friends that are ice climbers and they always take Uber to the edge of our flat earth...they say its much less expensive than by taxi.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

I have heard that Uber is the easiest method of getting home from a night at the bars.

I have some friends that are ice climbers and they always take Uber to the edge of our flat earth...they say its much less expensive than by taxi.

Uber drivers are not allowed near the edge. It's in the terms of service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back