Volvo 2013 R-Design T6 Polestar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I get an oil recommendation for this vehicle please? Seems more difficult than it should be. Manual calls for 0W-30 ACEA A5/B5. Seems several oils with that rating no longer have it. Thanks

Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 is A5/B5 rated if you don't mind the different viscosity.

If you plan to drive it hard or extend the oil changes, it may be worth considering an A3/B4 oil such as Castrol Edge 0W-40.

Awesome car!

My middle son has a "regular" R Type. I have only used Pennzoil Ultra mostly 5W30 with 10W30 in the summer. Specs call for 0 or 5W30 A5/B5 which Ultra meets. Could be wrong but with our warm summer temps I figure no problem with 10W30. Car runs like a champ

Hey, you guys might be interested in this. In fact, I should make this a brand new post.

So I emailed Castrol and Valvoline asking if they had any oils that would meet the qualifications for this motor. I mean it says Castrol oil recommended right on the oil cap. These are the two responses I received.

Hello, Volvo recommends Castrol. This particular vehicle requires an oil that is ACEA A5/B5 rating. Which of your products do I use? I am in Idaho.

Thank you,

Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

Castrol EDGE 5W-30, Castrol EDGE Extended Performance 5W-30, and Castrol EDGE Professional 5W-30 oils all transitioned to ACEA A5/B5 on April 1, 2017.

Please note that the specification for ACEA A5/B5 changed in 2015 and as a result, Castrol EDGE 5W-30, Castrol EDGE Extended Performance 5W-30 and Castrol EDGE Professional 5W-30 oils did not meet the new ACEA A5/B5 specification for a little while however since the change at that time was a bio-diesel oxidation test that our oils did not meet, Volvo still accepted/accepts the use of the above mentioned Castrol oils in their vehicles in North America.

Volvo dealerships primarily sell Castrol EDGE Professional 5W-30.

Castrol Consumer Relations

And from Valvoline:

Stephen, thank you for contacting Valvoline Product Support with your question.

For an API rating ACEA A5/B5: the only product we have that cover that specification would be Valvoline Full Synthetic with MaxLife Technology. The only Viscosity we would have for you application would be 5W-30. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us via phone at 800 TEAM VAL or by email at [email protected] for assistance.

Thank you and have a great day.
Mary
Mary Product Support

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Well, at least you have choices ...

Try down in the Racing Oil forum where they are asking about oil for the new Ford GT and can't find any ...

I would assume Motorcraft 5w-50 full synthetic.

If there's a Napa nearby, they carry Liqui-Moly, or can get it for you at a fair price. I know they'll have something that's A5/B5
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: kinch1
And from Valvoline:

For an API rating ACEA A5/B5...

Tut tut Mary!

Last edited:
Weasley, could you explain yourself please? Is there something misleading about her using the description, "API rating"? I'd like to know so I don't potentially buy the wrong oil. I'd also like to know for my own interest. Thanks

ACEA is the European version of the API, different groups with different specs.

ACEA rating is A3/B4, A5/B5, E9, etc.

API ratings are SM, SN, etc.

So it is incorrect for Valvoline to say "API rating ACEA A5/B5". It's quite possible for an oil to meet an API rating of SN and ACEA A5/B5 though, such as Castrol Edge 5w30 and Pennzoil Platinum 5w30.

Oh cool I get it. I'm not as technically savvy so I did not understand the comment. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: weasley
Originally Posted By: kinch1
And from Valvoline:

For an API rating ACEA A5/B5...

Tut tut Mary!

It gets worse; they say they don't meet the part of the spec for diesel, which is part of the spec, so they don't meet it at all.
wink.gif

ACEA A5/B5 but not suitable for diesel applications calling for A5/B5 is gibberish.

I re read that email to me and I don't see where she mentions anything about it not meeting the spec for diesel. Did you read that somewhere else?

It's right here on the data sheet. You can't claim A5/B5 and then say you're not suitable for diesel engines calling for A5/B5. B5 is the diesel portion of the specification. Without B5, there is no A5. Therefore, it's A5/B5 for gas and diesel both, or it is not A5/B5 at all. Clearly, Valvoline is not. Before, they were trying to say A5 only, or A1 only. That's nonsense, too.

Castrol went through the same pickle a little while ago, and did things honestly. That's why they yanked A5/B5 temporarily. They had some issue with one of the biodiesel tests and yanked A5/B5 from the labels. They did what was needed to pass, whatever that might be, and now we will see A5/B5 again.

Whether or not ACEA should revamp specifications and allow separation is another matter. However, they do not, and it is expected that oil companies, especially big ones, understand the specifications they claim.

I have no problem with Valvoline products, have used them, and will use them again. But, there's really no reason to play fast and loose with specifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back