2 different labs

Status
Not open for further replies.
My second Detroit Diesel 14 liter finally got to 30,000 miles with the bypass and Schaeffer's 9000 5w-40. Yesterday I mailed out two samples one to Blackstone and 1 to Schaffer's, what kind of differences do y'all expect to see any guesses up front

As this oil cleans out these engines I don't expect to see amazing length of oil change on the first run, the first truck had .5% insolubles at 30k and I changed the full flow the second truck is going to be the same I'm convinced

I requested a tan test I always do TBN, can somebody please give me some insight on the TAN test

Thanks as always

I'd be interested in seeing the results. The cynical side of me says the Schaffer's report will be better than the B_S report, assuming there are no problems with air filtration or coolant getting into the oil. In otherwords if there are no problems with the engine, I'd expect the Schaffers report to tout their product with a stellar report.
27.gif
I may be 100% wrong, but that's why I'd use a lab not associated with a company selling oil. FTR I'm not singling out Schaeffers.......It will be a good test in any event.

Both samples should be within a couple ppm either way, as there's a bit of variation in machines doing the testing.

TAN, total acid number, is a reference to the amount of acid building up in the oil from the byproducts of combustion. Some say to condemn and change the oil when TAN and TBM cross, others that TAN can be higher than TBN*. Either way, there is some point at which the oil can no longer absorb the acids and will start to thicken; IMO the oil should be changed prior to this point.

*Some oils start with a higher TAN so there is variability here depending on the oil and the application

I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will chime in....

In the past fuel dilution has always been less than .5% except for a run on my 12.7 where the OC I was 40000 MI it was at 1.0

Originally Posted By: NStuart
the first truck had .5% insolubles at 30k

That weight/weight or weight/volume?

Either way it seems like quite a lot, but I don't know what's typical and I don't know how they measure it.

IIRC for one of the determinations, which MIGHT be insoluables, they do a centrifugation and just assess the pellet visually, so not very precise.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Both samples should be within a couple ppm either way, as there's a bit of variation in machines doing the testing.

TAN, total acid number, is a reference to the amount of acid building up in the oil from the byproducts of combustion. Some say to condemn and change the oil when TAN and TBM cross, others that TAN can be higher than TBN*. Either way, there is some point at which the oil can no longer absorb the acids and will start to thicken; IMO the oil should be changed prior to this point.

*Some oils start with a higher TAN so there is variability here depending on the oil and the application

I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will chime in....

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back