Oil for Heavily Used Carbureted Veichles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1977 GMC Wrecker with a 454 I use daily for towing cars,and a 1982 ford f150 with a 300 six.I was wondering if it was worth it to switch to Mystique 15w50.

I think a bulk 15W-40 would work well. It would (probably) be cheaper, and it will protect hard-working engines well.

I'd stay the course with that.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I think a bulk 15W-40 would work well. It would (probably) be cheaper, and it will protect hard-working engines well.

I'd stay the course with that.

+1 I think this would be perfect. You can get a solid HD 15w-40 that will protect your engine and also give you longer oil changes

OTOH, if you are able to score some 20w50 on sale cheap, I wouldn't hesitate to run it. But most of the time it's easier to find 15w40 on sale. I would run either.

I grew up in Corvallis and worked in an auto & machine shop there when I was in high school and we used NAPA 20w50 in every domestic V8 that came in the shop in the 80s, including in the coldest days of winter. I think we used 10w30 in the imports, but there were a lot less of those.

Originally Posted By: RamblinMan1990
I'm currently using 15w40.

Prolly good enough
smile.gif

That's what I'd run. HDEO can stand the heat and some fuel dilution. I'd use a known one, but PQIA shows that they are all pretty much good. Delvac, Delo, Rotella, Rural King, TSC (Traveler), all good
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Brons2

I grew up in Corvallis and worked in an auto & machine shop there when I was in high school and we used NAPA 20w50 in every domestic V8 that came in the shop in the 80s, including in the coldest days of winter. I think we used 10w30 in the imports, but there were a lot less of those.
we did the opposite! Imports got 20w50 and v8s got 10w30 or 10w40

Originally Posted By: Chris142
stick with the 15w40... I dont think there are any bad ones.

Well, the new CK-4, SN versions are way down on Zn/Ph levels, not exactly good news for older flat tappet engines.

I'd stay with T4 15w-40 Shell Rotella, it still has the higher levels of Zn/Ph and dropped SN rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back