Is there such a thing as an underbody anti rust...

Is there such a thing as an underbody anti rust coating such as Fluid Film, but that gets a kind of skin on it, so it doesn't collect dirt etc.?

I'm looking to spray underbodies on the cars where there is either rust starting, or will be, but i would like something that doesn't stay wet, whilst still able to creep and keep rust at bay.

Thanks.

Not really but there are products less messy and better than FF. The only problem is they cost a lot more, and will collect some dust and dirt.

Originally Posted By: MaDMaXX
....i would like something that doesn't stay wet, whilst still able to creep and keep rust at bay.

Thanks.

Probably fairly incompatible goals. I find sunflower oil eventually gets close to that, but initially its wet and will collect some grime. I doubt this grime compromises its effectiveness much though.

I just went threw this and spend lots of time researching different products for undercoating. You may want to consider (Undercoating in a can) it's made by the Petroleum Services Company it is not a rubberized undercoating but will dry to like a wax so dirt will not stick. Watch the videos on there web site or YouTube.

Cosmoline is probably the best thing you can use for spraying the underside of your car or truck it is pricy though at about $17.99 on line. Google Cosmoline there is a company that sells it.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
You may want to consider (Undercoating in a can) it's made by the Petroleum Services Company

Can you link the company or the products? The name is too common for google to show right link.

I have been searching about this too. There are a few contenders, like Cosmoline, Fluid Film or NH Oil Undercoating. I found that Cosmoline is sold under too many trade names and couldn't figure out the difference so I am leaning towards either Fluid Film or NH Oil Undercoatings. I am trying to find local applicators so that first time I will get it done professionally and depending on how tedious the job is, I may do future applications by myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Over the pond we are using "body wax"...or" chassis wax"...

Google dinitrol chassis protection...

Going to be doing my car this summer with this stuff.

I had a lot of problems with Waxoyl when i lived in England, it's very old tech and doesn't really old up on anything that already has any semblance of rust present. My favourite part was when it ended up holding moisture against the metal and creating more rust underneath
frown.gif

Dinitrol is recommended, but doesn't seem to be available in the States
frown.gif

Looking into that Underseal in a can, Amazon sell it: https://www.amazon.com/Undercoating-Can-12-oz-Aerosol/dp/B018GK2BVG

i lighty spray engine compartment and chassis with silicone spray every now and then seems to work ok i like pb blaster brand silicone

Originally Posted By: MaDMaXX
Is there such a thing as an underbody anti rust coating such as Fluid Film, but that gets a kind of skin on it, so it doesn't collect dirt etc.?

I'm looking to spray underbodies on the cars where there is either rust starting, or will be, but i would like something that doesn't stay wet, whilst still able to creep and keep rust at bay.

Thanks.

Boeshield T9 is available in aerosol cans as well as bulk non-aerosol amounts. But its pricey. I tried Amsoil HDMP before but found that it seemed to trap moisture as I had surface rusting of some previously rust-free sections after a winter. Switched to FF after that and so far its looking good. I was hesitant at first because of the messy build up as well but let me tell you its not a big deal. Holds the FF in place very well after it builds up a little and any extra mess on hands during repairs generally washes off easily. Although it will stain clothes (even after washing with simple green).

That looks pretty interesting - seems you need to be mindful of how it's applied, i ordered a can to see how it goes - in the meantime, Fluidfilm doesn't seem too bad and can be had for just over $10 in NAPA.

Each time someone suggests something, i try to see if it's suitable for application to surfaces that already have rust to some degree.

Most list they're great for corrosion protection, but few list they have anything that will act to deal with existing rust.

I have tried Fluid Film, Amsoil HDMP and Corrsion-X HD. The Corrosion-X HD was probably my favorite as it is very sticky and tenacious once it dries but it is also very expensive.

Amsoil HDMP was pretty good stuff too but is not cheap and doesn't seem to adhere very well unless the surfaces are clean.

Fluid film is by far the cheapest and easiest to apply. It is probably the least durable and will have to be re-applied once a year minimum but it is a good lubricant and will keep your undercarriage rust free so long as there is a good coat on the surfaces.

As for collecting dirt, they all do it but to varying degrees. The Amsoil probably collects the least, the fluid film collects the most but fluid film also allows the dirt and grime to be wiped or flushed away the easiest compared to the other two.

Rusfre undercoating or internal panel coating. Does not get hard but remains flexible. I like the internal panel coating. Has kept my 02 jeep frame in great shap. Can be sprayed.

I've had good luck point applying 3M's Professional grade Rubberized undercoating spray in black to my Honda's. I hit clips, fasteners, pinch welds, etc under the body and some under the hood that aren't painted as the full panels are. No appreciable rust yet.

Fluid Film works much better when it's not used in the cans but rather the bulk stuff you buy that has to be sprayed on with a gun. It's thicker, it lasts longer.

But even then it still won't last an entire year. I apply it twice a year. I'd really like to use the camoline (am I saying that right)? I've used it in the past once...stuff last's a lot longer than the FF, but it is expensive.

Reactions: JC1
IMO the oil isn't as important as the application. You can experiment with different products, or do what I do and DIY or just use bar and chain oil when there isn't anything leftover.

Here's the gun I use:

Fluid Film Emery Pro Undercoating Spray Gun

It comes with everything you need including the wand extension and even the plugs if you want to drill holes. After seeing how solid my 2003 pickup was after the original owner shot oil in the rockers, I chose to drill and do this to my own car as well. You can use any drill bit but I bought a special one for drilling into the body, I'll see if I can find it.

*edit* here's the bit:

Drill Hog USA Step Drill Bit 1/4" Lifetime Warranty

Last edited:
Back