Boron/Moly add packs vs sodium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Originally Posted By: rotorcraft230

I didn't know that about sudium. I have used Valvoline 5W-30 since new in my 2006 Silverado 4.8L LS1. At about 200,000 miles I noticed metal showing up in my filter ( I always cut open filters in all my vehicles). Found two lobes and the corrsponding lifters making metal. I changed the cam and lifters and have put 38,000 miles on it since then. Put the Crane cam made for the LS1 in it and crane lifters as well. I guess I may ask is the Valvoline ok in the engine or should I switch to an oil W/O sodium?

It is more of an anecdotal observation but it does seem to pop up more often than not when looking at issues like soft cams and exclusive use of Sodium add pack oils in place of Moly based oils.

As for advise on changing oils, I think you have already replaced the weak link with that being the cam and would be fine continuing with Valvoline.

Thanks Hootbro, I have always used Valvoline in all my vehicles except my Subaru. I have read others having cam issues, Valvoline is Dexos 1 and sure it's not the oils fault.

Originally Posted By: rotorcraft230

Thanks Hootbro, I have always used Valvoline in all my vehicles except my Subaru. I have read others having cam issues, Valvoline is Dexos 1 and sure it's not the oils fault.

Yeah, it really is not a knock against sodium based oils, just that it shows the issues more quickly for lousy metal and heat treat issues by the car makers. Moly tends to settle in and plate the microscopic pores of a metal surface over time and add an extra layer of lubricity that sodium does not from my layman understanding.

Originally Posted By: jdavis
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

I guess that if I see that an oil with sodium has passed dexos1 Gen 2 (or GF6, whenever that gets going) with an LSPI test, I feel that I can have some confidence that it's still a good choice for my DIT engine.

There's already a number of Valvoline (and Napa) oils with sodium that are dexo1s Gen 2 approved as far as I know..

I just don't know if those oils have been reformulated to pass Gen 2...a poster on here was told by Valvoline customer service that the Synpower line would not be dexos1 Gen 2 licensed, but now the 5W30 has shown up on "the list". The new standard doesn't go live until September and I guess we won't know for sure if any reformulations have occurred until we see some VOAs for oils with the Gen 2 label and license #.

I have a dumb question...what would happen if Sodium AND Boron/Moly based oils were mixed together? Would it accelerate corrosion or wear? Chemical reactions?

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
I have a dumb question...what would happen if Sodium AND Boron/Moly based oils were mixed together? Would it accelerate corrosion or wear? Chemical reactions?

It would create a giant black hole and swallow the Earth!

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE

Dozens of posters have promised to try it and come back to share the results...and then never posted again!!!

(cue eerie music)

;^)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back