Article: "Why Expensive Oil Is A Waste Of Money"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but moderately expensive oil makes me feel better. And when I used to build desert bike motors, Motul 300V was one of the few that would live. $19/L - but worth it to keep the beasts together
laugh.gif

I like the comments section. Basically, a "normal" engine running 4K OCI under "normal" conditions, the wear will so similar between SuperTech and Amsoil that the price cost isn't justified.

For most people, I think this is why an oil change is a mundane nuisance to owning a vehicle; whatever lubricant the oil change dude throws in will suffice.

Originally Posted By: Dumc87
whatever lubricant the oil change dude throws in will suffice.

And to be fair, 'low quality' oil that's clean (changed regularly) will always perform better than premium oils left to rot in the sump.

We're all just way too enthusiastic here
wink.gif

And that's ok
Jordan

Specifications are what counts the most in the end, i mean if you have say a tubocharged direct injection car it is agood idea to use a more expensive synthetic oil, or if you have an old school muscle car with a flat tappet camshaft,it's worth spending a bit of money on an oil that has the appropriate amount of zddp in it, but in the average port injection gasoline N/A engine, specs are what counts the most, not really brand.

Originally Posted By: JFAllen

wink.gif

And that's ok
Jordan

Great take away on the subject.

Cheers

And to be fair, 'low quality' oil that's clean (changed regularly) will always perform better than premium oils left to rot in the sump.

wink.gif

I'm not.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

wink.gif

I'm not.

And thats OK...too.
grin.gif

Maybe some years ago the difference between the high end boutique/expensive oils and the run of the mill oils could be quantified, but these days the gap has narrowed considerably. For a 5k OCI it makes no sense to pay for a high end oil. If your doing extended drain intervals or in a modified or racing application paying more might be in your best interest but how much more is what the end user is comfortable with paying and makes you sleep better at night.

Originally Posted By: Swifty
Maybe some years ago the difference between the high end boutique/expensive oils and the run of the mill oils could be quantified, but these days the gap has narrowed considerably. For a 5k OCI it makes no sense to pay for a high end oil. If your doing extended drain intervals or in a modified or racing application paying more might be in your best interest but how much more is what the end user is comfortable with paying and makes you sleep better at night.

I disagree. 10K OCIs(like I do with a quality synthetic oil) doesn't cost anymore than the 5K OCI you do. Also, the results I get are greater than yours. After 200-300K my engines will be much cleaner than yours, 1/2 of the oil changes(in 300K I will do 30-you will do 60) save resources, much better extreme cold starts, better protection in extreme heat.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Originally Posted By: Ducked

wink.gif

I'm not.

And thats OK...too.
grin.gif

Haha yep!

I often talk to people that have the same truck I have a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder V6 or the same VQV6 that powers 05-current Nissan Frontiers many people run a mixed bag of oil either conventional or synthetic and many with real high millage. Frankly it does not seem to matter what people use if it is changed in a descent timeframe with most changing there oil around 5,000 miles. A few guys who don't take good care of there trucks change it when they feel like it (friend of mine averages 12,000 miles per change all highway miles on cheep Jiffy Lube conventional he has 250,000 on his Nissan Frontier and the motor runs fine.) On some motors I don't think it matters all that much. Then again if I had a Ford EB or a Subaru turbo I would be more selective.

In my V6 Pathfinder I run synthetic since I tow a 5,000 pound camper in the hot summer months and synthetic in the winter since it can hit -20F here in Western MA. I do often wonder if it really matters esp when I see 5 quarts of Formula Shell conventional on sale at HD for under 10 bucks!

Originally Posted By: tig1

I disagree. 10K OCIs(like I do with a quality synthetic oil) doesn't cost anymore than the 5K OCI you do. Also, the results I get are greater than yours. After 200-300K my engines will be much cleaner than yours, 1/2 of the oil changes(in 300K I will do 30-you will do 60) save resources, much better extreme cold starts, better protection in extreme heat.

One, I never said I do 5k OCI's it was an in general statement, read again. Two, your assumptions to longevity and engine cleanliness and what ever other data you want to include, your results compared to mine will never be realized and are irrelevant, we aren't comparing, so if you say so, then ok... I could care less. Lol.... This wasn't a statement of what I am using compared to anyone else maybe you took it out of context a bit.

My UOA'S so far are all single digit wear numbers at almost 9k intervals could I achieve it with a lower cost oil, certainly possible and wouldn't doubt it a bit. My oil changes are moving towards 10k and beyond, so for extended drains I don't mind paying more regardless if it is M1 EP, or, AP ,or Amsoil or any other flavor.

In the article the interval was below 5k. Would have been nice to see how the oils perform at 10k and beyond.

I agree that these days you don't have to spend a lot of money to get and oil to do 5k or 10k intervals there is an abundance of many good products. It is a choice by the end user on what you choose to spend and what one considers expensive or not and what you intend to do with the oil.

One, I never said I do 5k OCI's it was an in general statement, read again. Two, your assumptions to longevity and engine cleanliness and what ever other data you want to include, your results compared to mine will never be realized and are irrelevant, we aren't comparing, so if you say so, then ok... I could care less. Lol.... This wasn't a statement of what I am using compared to anyone else maybe you took it out of context a bit.

My UOA'S so far are all single digit wear numbers at almost 9k intervals could I achieve it with a lower cost oil, certainly possible and wouldn't doubt it a bit. My oil changes are moving towards 10k and beyond, so for extended drains I don't mind paying more regardless if it is M1 EP, or, AP ,or Amsoil or any other flavor.

In the article the interval was below 5k. Would have been nice to see how the oils perform at 10k and beyond.

I agree that these days you don't have to spend a lot of money to get and oil to do 5k or 10k intervals there is an abundance of many good products. It is a choice by the end user on what you choose to spend and what one considers expensive or not and what you intend to do with the oil.

Seems like you are denying everything you said. Just sayin. Speculation??

Last edited:

Seems like you are denying everything you said. Just sayin. Speculation??

Maybe you need to read again get your glasses on...Never said I was doing 5k OCI's, and clearly stated for doing 5k OCI's it makes no sense to spend more on a high end oil. It was generally speaking. Never implied it was to myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back