Nice little Quake a few minutes ago ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
3.4 about 6 miles east. Sitting at PC upstairs and shook pleasantly for a bit.

Wife was downstairs and did not feel it (watching news). Nothing fell, no damage
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
3.4 about 6 miles east. Sitting at PC upstairs and shook pleasantly for a bit.

Wife was downstairs and did not feel it (watching news). Nothing fell, no damage
smile.gif

3.4 meh...
whistle.gif

Oklahoma is the new land of magnitude 3+ earthquakes. Forget California.

"We know that Oklahoma experienced 623 magnitude 3+ earthquakes in 2016, 903 in 2015, 579 in 2014 and 109 in 2013." -- https://earthquakes.ok.gov/
They've been lubricating the basement rock with water, since they like low-viscosity lubricants, like a 0w8 or something.

Last edited:
I was visiting the LA area in 1992 when the Landers hit. I looked it up and the magnitude was a 7.3 that hit early in the morning and got me out of bed.
Luckily the epicenter was a ways out in the desert.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
I was visiting the LA area in 1992 when the Landers hit. I looked it up and the magnitude was a 7.3 that hit early in the morning and got me out of bed.
Luckily the epicenter was a ways out in the desert.
ya way out by me!

We dont even feel em unless they are a 6.o

3.4 is pretty miniscule. A 4.4 would be 10x stronger, and that's a pretty miniscule tremor. A 5.4 100x stronger, a 6.4 1000x stronger. Somewhere around there you start to get quakes that can cause damage, the 7.4 at 10,000x stronger is definitely damage territory. The most severe Earthquakes we see on earth ... 9.4 or therabouts ... are 1 million times stronger than your 3.4.

We get about 100 R3.x~R4.5 a year here, and I've never felt one, never saw a ripple in my coffee cup, but you were close to the epicentre at 6 miles (you don't say how deep) so maybe that's why you felt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back