Used car parts on amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure there is some but I would guess they would be marked under refurbished or something along that line. Amazon is a great site but private party refurbished could simply mean wiped down with a rag for all we know. Still I would look at a local junk yard first all the good deals can be found there.

Heck I know a few folks who do nothing but strip parts off cars in junk yards and list them on eBay.

If they're sold by Amazon warehouse deals they will describe the condition, usually it would be something someone opened and returned but everything is inspected from them. If it's from another seller Idk.

Not sure, but personally I wouldn't be a part of any scheme designed to put the local (especially the local!) and national auto wreckers out of business. So I will not be shopping used auto parts on Amazon.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Not sure, but personally I wouldn't be a part of any scheme designed to put the local (especially the local!) and national auto wreckers out of business. So I will not be shopping used auto parts on Amazon.

It will actually help their business. ABC Auto Salvage pulls the part and uses the well developed marketing and delivery system of Amazon to sell their parts everywhere. XYZ Auto Salvage doesn't see the future and doesn't do as well. Just like any other competitive venture.

Last edited:
On Amazon, I have bought "used" but they weren't used at all....
just new stuff returned. No problems.

For used stuff, I call local yards first,
but ultimately always end up getting what I need here:
http://www.car-part.com/

I have ordered at least 50 different "used" car parts off amazon and none of them have ever appeared to actually have been used. Just torn up/missing boxes. IMO they are an outstanding value and the first place I check when I need parts. I've noticed heavy things like brake rotors often show up in the 'used' section. I assume its because heavier things often get their packages torn up in shipping. Everything I've gotten used has been from amazon itself. I wouldn't trust a 'used' item from a 3rd party. Examples of things I've purchased recently: Loaded brake caliper for a bronco $12 (was nib) GM OE front brake rotors for a DTS $30 a piece, the rear rotors were $12 a piece.

Last edited:
Both Amazon and eBay are the wrong places to find any auto parts.
Go into a store and get it, there are too many scary sellers online!!

I'm not sure but I have ordered brand new OE parts on Amazon and when I receive them they look like second tier quality. Nothing wrong with the performance of the part but definitely the "reject" parts.

Last part I bought was a throttle body and the mounting plate was assembled backwards. Had to take it apart myself and reassemble it.

I have had both good and bad luck buying parts off Amazon. Most purchases were open box and the packaging ruffed up. Bought led replacement taillights for the 99 Ford F350 and they were open box and are great looking and were 40% of new price. The last upgrade of headlights the product was not what was in the box but Amazon stands behind what they sell and UPS has it in their hands for return and another is on its way along with some air horns for those who can't get off the phone while driving in the parking lot

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Both Amazon and eBay are the wrong places to find any auto parts.
Go into a store and get it, there are too many scary sellers online!!
The Amazon return policy is very good, but I haven't had to use it for the many car parts I have purchased. Usually "refurb" means a previously opened package. The day the local NAPA locked the doors 20 minutes early and the stooges inside gawped at me when I tried the door, (which had the hours painted on it) was it for me and NAPA.

Last edited:
The local over priced NAPA now has a for sale sign on it. When the stocked merchandise was doubled the price of other local stores and had to always point out price reductions from their sale flyers. The shop they had was over priced on tire changes too.

I only will return so often to a shop that seems bent on burning customers. Have two shops from another town that will deliver parts cheaper

Originally Posted By: user52165
Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

It will actually help their business. ABC Auto Salvage pulls the part and uses the well developed marketing and delivery system of Amazon to sell their parts everywhere. XYZ Auto Salvage doesn't see the future and doesn't do as well. Just like any other competitive venture.

Amazon will help a local business? Are we talking the same Amazon here? The one that has Wal-Mart running for cover, closing stores and leaving communities with no bricks-and-mortar stores (killed by the Wal-Mart that opened 15 years ago) and no means of retail whatsoever (when Wal-Mart closes their local store this year, killed by Amazon)?

It's hard to stop the exodus of American jobs when the locals are part of the problem. Go ahead, buy your used auto parts on Amazon. I can't stop you. And good luck to your children, by the way.

Originally Posted By: stower17
I'm not sure but I have ordered brand new OE parts on Amazon and when I receive them they look like second tier quality. Nothing wrong with the performance of the part but definitely the "reject" parts.

Last part I bought was a throttle body and the mounting plate was assembled backwards. Had to take it apart myself and reassemble it.
That couldn't happen at the local parts store?

The parts I bought from Amazon Warehouse stated as "Used" were Open Box.
Mostly come in their original box but the box are busted or the plastic is opened.

I got a good deal on Denso AC Compressor for less than $90 (Open Box) compare to $250 new.
It worked flawlessly until I sold the car using the compressor for 60K miles.

I also got some Denso O2 sensors that way although it is probably only about $10 to $20 cheaper.

Sure it could. It all depends on who is in charge of purchasing for the retail store. The buyers at Amazon could have a deal with manufacturers that they want B and C rated product to lower their costs. Not all finished product is 100% perfect but it is still usable. Product usually gets graded on a A-F scale. D's and F's being unacceptable.

Fyi, Kohl's department stores mostly buys B and C rated Nike shoes. A rated product wouldn't be cost effective for their business model.

They're not actually "used" parts, just either old stock, or the box might be damaged a bit. I've bought many "used" items from the Amazon Warehouse Deals and they've all been new and never-installed.

Another happy amazon user. Got some brake pads for $9 shipped then drove the car down Mt Washington on 'em. Pads showed up in a shopworn box with half a roll of packaging tape holding it all together.

Yah I gambled on a new starter for the Rat from Amazon It was a Chinese clone. It came with a QC checklist a page long. It was brand new exact copy of the Rat's The Rat's was OK, I thought it had fried, but it turned out to be a dead short in the wire. It rattled, so in went the clone. $50, I couldn't buy a rebuild kit for that

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back