Bad Wheel bearing on 2013 Traverse- knackered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently on vacation visiting my grandparents, and the rest of my family is visiting from NC. My mom's car has been making a very loud noise for a while now- it sounded like tire roar from the worn OE tires. They just got new tires not that long ago, and some noise went away, but loud roar remained. My grandfather and I noticed yesterday that it seemed to go away when turning to the left, and get worse when turning to the right. Seemed like the driver side rear wheel bearing is shot. It's a 2013 with just under 40k miles on it, AWD. Sure enough my grandfather, dad and I pulled the old one out today and replaced it with a new one from O'Reillys. The old one is absolutely knackered. I don't think they are supposed to rattle when you shake them.

tsJayCQ.jpg

Video I took, shaking it around, you can hear the rattle.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw9mVgAKnIGSNW85VFEwN0xxMkU

Last edited:
I guess it depends on the geometry of the whole setup. My scenario was the opposite but a bad bearing. My sound got worse turning left and quiet turning right but it was the same driver side bearing. The hub was trashed as a result of the bearing. I inspection everything because resonance, noise, whine, how can look like it's from the side but come from the differential itself. Mine had a clunky sound at slow speeds but a whine at high speed so I thought maybe it was the CV joint

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Car looks good for four years old though!
01.gif

That's 4 year old suspension? I would have guessed, not a day over 4 days.

I'm pretty sure GM includes wheel bearings in the 5yr/100k powertrain warranty that a 2013 would have. A good hit to a pothole can kill one.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Wow, 4 year old bearing. Kind of cool that you had 3 generations all working together in the garage though!

That was the thing that stuck out most to me
smile.gif

prolly the same cheap bearings that are short lived in malibu's!!! offshore no doubt!

My f150 4x4 has been through a lot of bearings. Always give warning so that's a plus. Oreilly's last as long as Timken or Motorcraft. GMB and National were the worst. I would have gone to the dealer for a warranty repair and a free loaner. Make them fix their overpriced junk.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
I'm pretty sure GM includes wheel bearings in the 5yr/100k powertrain warranty that a 2013 would have. A good hit to a pothole can kill one.

I called the local dealer here and asked, and they said wheel bearings aren't covered under the powertrain warranty.

There was this dude on a truck forum said that greasing sealed unitized hubs made them last longer. I've tried greasing the front unitized hubs on my Silverado and so far so good (150,000mi on original knock on wood). At least it will put me off from buying questionable quality name brand wheel bearings for the time being.

Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
How? Smear grease on them? They are sealed.

Not him but maybe he's talking about the Ford forums. Those bearing hub assys can be greased through the ABS sensor hole and guys have been doing that to address repreated bearing failures. Some members have even cobbled up their own Zerk adapter fitting specifically for the ABS sensor hole. I just did the third round of bearings on an Explorer, actually just the failed left side this time and juiced up the new bearing a bit and also pumped up the other side bearing which wasn't being problematic yet. We'll see if the new one can go more than 50K this time.

Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
How? Smear grease on them? They are sealed.

This dude posts on various forums but here's the source of that info:

http://courtsara.com/tips

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back