Going to pikes peak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone so looking for some good advice and info on pikes peak. I am taking my dart to Colorado this weekend. I've never been west at all. So I look forward to it . How long does like peaks take? Any info on it is appreciated.

You can actually drive your car all the way to the top. Elevation 14,110 ft. There is a souvenir shop with snacks available at the top. Everyone inside except the teenage kids who work there looks brain dead from oxygen deprivation (thinner air at higher altitude takes some getting used to...)

Spend awhile at the top. It's where "America the Beautiful" was written.

Thought of doing it once. Right now the cost is $50 for a private car. The one rule I recall is that your vehicle must be able to get into first gear. Certainly a manual transmission can do it, but not something like my wife's Civic with a 4 speed automatic and only D/D3/2. I was thinking of renting a car but wasn't sure if I would have something that could do it. They don't say anything about manumatics (including CVTs) but I'd assume that such a car would be allowed.

Quote:
https://coloradosprings.gov/pikes-peak-americas-mountain/page/vehicle-restrictions

Cars and Non-Commercial Truck Restrictions
Automatic Transmissions: Must have a "1" or "L" on the shifter to be allowed on the highway. Hybrid Transmissions may have a "B" which is also acceptable. Transmissions showing an "S" must demonstrate that this shifter will allow the transmission to be locked into 1st gear.

The road is operated by the City of Colorado Springs, but Pikes Peak itself is under the jurisdiction of the US Forest Service.

There's also another way up via the Pikes Peak Cog Railway.

http://www.cograilway.com

Very beautiful up top, plenty of room when I was there, 2 years ago. People from all over the world and took pictures for them, It was a two hour bike ride for the race I was in on a Sunday to get up it but the car ride was considerably quicker on the Saturday before ! Nice roads and a brakes check station on the way down.

I bet you have a good time there .

How long it takes depends on what you want to do. If it's not overly crowded, you might make it from the toll booth to the summit and back down in an hour. But that wouldn't be an enjoyable trip, IMO. You could take all day if you stop at various points on the mountain.

Make sure your car is in good running condition.

Don't forget about MtEvans to the north of Pikes Peak.

The road is nice, goes through a shifting glacier, and a scary dropoff near the top.

The July day we were there, it started hailing marble size, just as we got to the 14,200 ft top.

We looked around to the north for 5 minutes watching lightening shoot down from our level, and went back down.

All the way back to Denver for the night I could see a supper cell thunderstorm to our north and east with high winds flowing into it.

In 2012 a similar storm had a tornado near 12k ft on that mountain.

I was there in June, 1969. We ate at a restaurant at the base of Pikes Peak. The next table over Mairo Andretti was eating with some other drivers. I was too young to know who he was. My older brother did and was very excited. I remember they all wore white driving suit with all the patches for sponsors. Don't remember much about the Peak.

Plan on about three hours to get to the top and back down again. You can do it faster, but other traffic may slow you down. It also depends on how much time you want to take a viewing everything on the way up and down. I don't think it's $50 to go up, but there is a charge and it's not that bad.

Plenty of photo opportunities, and the part about having a first gear available on the way down is a big one. Halfway down the hill on the return trip, there is a mandatory stop where a ranger will check your brake temperature; if it is too high you will be forced to pull over for at least 15 minutes. Use your engine braking on the way down for sure! I did most of mine in the F150 in first gear and 4000 RPMs.

It is a twisty road with spectacular views and a little bit of history; enjoy! Easy drive from Colorado Springs on route 24 W.

Driven up and down several times. It's fun. Don't be like all the tourists and overheat the [censored] out of your brakes on the way down. You absolutely need a first gear, no exceptions.

Also +1 for mt Evans. Way more fun of a drive and you can definitely push the car harder within the confines of the law on those roads.

Lots of rain in the forecast this week and weekend.

I recommend you take a jacket (gloves and hat would be good also) as it will probably be windy and chilly.

Don't be surprised if you see flurries at the peak, but be ready to take cover as lightning strikes are not uncommon up there.

There is a mandatory brake check halfway down from the peak. An IR thermometer will be used on your rotors. If they deem them too hot, you'll have to park for about ten minutes (conveniently right by a small store).

Is it so steep that 1st gear is really used? First gear in my car is like 10 mph lol

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Is it so steep that 1st gear is really used? First gear in my car is like 10 mph lol
Odds are you'll be stuck behind a 90 year old lady so 1st gear might not be enough...

Originally Posted By: ram_man

Yeah you will use it. High rpms and first gear are common on the downhill. I used first for like 1/2 the trip down. Second isn't enough engine braking in my car to keep me off the brakes enough.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Plenty of photo opportunities, and the part about having a first gear available on the way down is a big one. Halfway down the hill on the return trip, there is a mandatory stop where a ranger will check your brake temperature; if it is too high you will be forced to pull over for at least 15 minutes. Use your engine braking on the way down for sure!

I did most of mine in the F150 in first gear and 4000 RPMs.

WOW!!!

Mt. Evans is technically higher in elevation, would probably have fewer tourists and is closer to RMNP and Trail Ridge Road. If you go to Pikes Peak be sure to be "going up on Cripple Creek" nearby.

Beautiful area out there. If you haven't been at elevation before, I would not do it the first day there. Give your body a day or two to acclimate before going up.

As was already said- plan on inclement weather and taking some time to reach the top. The road has been improved over the years, but if you don't like heights (no shoulders in places and a wonderful of your impending death should you drive off), you'll pucker up a bit. I don't like them, but still drove it, so it's not THAT bad. Think Ozarks on steroids. Also start the ascent up with at least 1/2 tank of fuel. I don't remember how many miles you drive to reach the top, but they claim you'll use about 80 miles worth of fuel.

I alternated from first to second on the trip down with just a little poke of the brakes in the switchbacks. There are many turnouts- use them to cool your brakes and enjoy the views and photo ops!

If you're considering the "Cog" train, RESERVE NOW! It's incredibly popular and was booked when we thought to try it. Parking is an experience in Manitou Springs.

Also flatlander... Drink water. Lots of it- on your trip to CO Springs, and during your visit. If you don't, the altitude will not be as kind. Also try and avoid foods that may give you gas. During the ascent into the CO Springs area, and later up to Pikes Peak, there will be a pressure differential and you and/or your significant other will be quite uncomfortable.

I don't know what your state of cardio fitness is, but CO Springs is somewhere around 6k feet and will tax you some. Pikes Peak WILL strain a lot of people. When I went there was someone getting loaded into an ambulance at the ranger check in station and several people gasping for air at the summit. My wife was strained a bit at the top, while I had zero issues. So don't plan on playing a game of tag unless you're in top cardio shape.

Last edited:
There was a sign at the start of the drive up the mountain, that said driving up and down Pikes Peak is equal to driving 3000 miles of normal driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back