torque wrench out of calibration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just sent my Snap On 5-75 ft lbs 3/8 drive to Team Torque in North Dakota for its annual calibration like I do every year. With the light use it sees (drain plugs, intakes, I mostly use it in the 18-50 ft lb range), its probably unnecessary to do it yearly but it gives me peace of mind. They called me back today, they said it was reading high on the low side of the scale, in the 15 to 16 pound range and that it would need to be adjusted and calibrated, and they wanted the ok from me to do it. they said they do see them reading high sometimes and that after adjusting it it should be fine. I was just puzzled in regards to the high reading as the wrench is never abused, always set back to 5 lbs after use and always wiped clean with a rag. they said they could tell I always turn it down after use and that I dont abuse it, as keeping the wrench dialed high would cause it to read high. Anyone ever ran into the same situation with a torque wrench that was well taken care of?

I was aaaaalways told to turn it to zero and that's what I did for years. Just the other day I heard someone caution against turning it to zero and, sure enough, Snap-On says to turn it to the lowest setting on the scale. I'm confused
21.gif
This is almost as bad as the time I found out that PLL is a dexclone!

It's just how it is....Especially with click-type torque wrenches. Good for you that you have it calibrated every year. Dial-Type torque wrenches retain their calibration longer but are more expensive.
I have my 3 (1/4", 3/8", 1/2") Snap-On torqOmeters calibrated every 2 years.
I stepped into the 21st century last year & bought a digital "techwrench" torque wrench & like it so far.

I don't have a Snap-On but a Hazet click type the others are spit beam that do not need setting lower to store but the clicker has 0 on the scale and I set it to that, you can feel the spring go slack inside.
I guess Snap-On must have a reason, I would like to know what it is though. Maybe they are afraid someone will go beyond zero?
21.gif

Trav - Sturdevant Richmont claims that "some" wrenches can have an internal part become disoriented if spring pressure is reduced to zero, maybe causing it to go out of calibration: http://www.srtorque.com/error-proofing-t...-quality-score/

Precision Instruments recommends their micrometer wrenches be "returned to the bottom of the scale", similar to what SnapOn recommends. Some brands go down to zero, others don't.

Hi:
I've been considering buying a quality torque wrench like those offered by SnapOn but am curious why you don't send it back to them for calibration. I thought they offered this service when I looked into buying one a long time ago. Is it more expensive?

Torque wrenches will always need to be calibrated after some use, just like anything else over time. When I worked for a tool supply company, they suggested getting them checked every 6 months with heavy use. It's not a big deal, just send it back and let them calibrate it.

How much does sending it in cost? I've never done this on my 8 year old bluepoint 3/8 but i no more longer us it for engine work. Now its just some suspension stuff that doesn't need to be exact.

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
How much does sending it in cost? I've never done this on my 8 year old bluepoint 3/8 but i no more longer us it for engine work. Now its just some suspension stuff that doesn't need to be exact.

Really depends on the particular shop you send it to. I have seen ranges of $50 - $100 depending on the style and type of torque wrench. This of course does not include shipping costs both ways nor does it include the cost of adjustment if needed.

Angle Repair... cost about $50/ea (including shipping it there) for the Snap-On wrenches I sent them.

I store the clickers at 20% of full scale, which standard practice at the aviation company I work as well. Anywhere from the lowest setting on the wrench to 20% is fine. I've heard not storing them at "zero" either because the internals can comes loose/out of alignment. However that's not the case with Snap-On, CDI and PI wrenches I've worked with.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
Angle Repair... cost about $50/ea (including shipping it there) for the Snap-On wrenches I sent them.

I store the clickers at 20% of full scale, which standard practice at the aviation company I work as well. Anywhere from the lowest setting on the wrench to 20% is fine. I've heard not storing them at "zero" either because the internals can comes loose/out of alignment. However that's not the case with Snap-On, CDI and PI wrenches I've worked with.

My Matco was due for a re-cal, plus it busted a pin in the snap collar. Used Angle Repair and it was done and returned on time. Can't say I verified their calibration but I haven't had any issues. Probably about time to send it back in...

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Trav - Sturdevant Richmont claims that "some" wrenches can have an internal part become disoriented if spring pressure is reduced to zero, maybe causing it to go out of calibration: http://www.srtorque.com/error-proofing-t...-quality-score/

Precision Instruments recommends their micrometer wrenches be "returned to the bottom of the scale", similar to what SnapOn recommends. Some brands go down to zero, others don't.

The reason not setting it to zero is because if one turns it negative by mistake then it can go out of whack like mentioned above.

I have a 5-75 ft. lb. CDI clicker, and it came set at 10 ft. lb. new out of the box. It is guaranteed accurate at 20% of scale which would be 15-75. Anyway, I usually set mine at rest on 5 ft. lb. so, I don't accidentally turn it past zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back