Where do I buy a PTCR for a split AC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My PTCR in my Nordyne Central Air Conditioner Model NS6QD-036K blew... I think the AC was short cycled during last thunderstorm.

Where do I get one of these? I checked the compressor and it checked good. The cap checks good, the PTCR was overheating and shorted out the low voltage call line from the main indoors unit and blew it's 3 amp fuse. The fuse was blowing when I called for AC, and then I found the blown PTCR in the outdoor unit that melted into the low volt line.. The AC HV line breaker had not thrown.

Last edited:
From what I'm reading I can install what is known as a Hard start kit, install in parallel with the run cap. in the same config. as the PTCR, thoughts?

Last edited:
I advise a quality HSK that uses a relay to remove the start capacitor from the ckt once the RPMs are high enough. Installed one on my unit a few decades ago.

Re: PTCR, you may find one locally, however not all distributers will sell OTC. Check WW Grainger also.

What year is that a unit? I don't remember last time I saw a PTCR in a unit,most condenser just have a run cap now days. A hard start would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back