Best oil for 1993 Celica?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am currently using Mobil Super 3000 5w30 API SM Low Emission oil, is this good enough or schould I switch to a differend brand? My car is a 1993 Toyota Celica 2.0 GTi Convertible with 3S-GE engine with 85k mi (136k km). I do not want t change viscosity because we do have here in Serbia very cold winters -18 F and hot summers up to 115 F. I drive my car very gently only between 2-3k rpm, no hard accelerations.
Thanks

I think that's a great choice. As long as it's easy to acquire and within budget, I wouldn't change a thing.

-18F must be chilly with the top down!
smile.gif

Do they sell Mobil 1 there? If so that would be a much better choice for your engine since full synthetic oils provide the best protection in cold weather.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TheBeaz
Do they sell Mobil 1 there? If so that would be a much better choice for your engine since full synthetic oils provide the best protection in cold weather.

I was thinking the same thing, but my quick search showed that Mobil Super 3000 is a full synthetic. If MS3000 isn't a synthetic in Serbia, I'd agree to look for a full synthetic for the cold weather benefits.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Originally Posted By: TheBeaz

I was thinking the same thing, but my quick search showed that Mobil Super 3000 is a full synthetic. If MS3000 isn't a synthetic in Serbia, I'd agree to look for a full synthetic for the cold weather benefits.

It is a Group III hydrocracked mineral base oil (HC synthese) with synthetic properties I think. Since my car requires API SG oil, SM is more than enough and since the oil is pretty cheap I keep changing it every 6000 mi

What makes you think you need to change?
For 6000 miles, that oil should be fine plus it has proven to keep your car that long.

Originally Posted By: alexmarjanovic98
It is a Group III hydrocracked mineral base oil (HC synthese) with synthetic properties I think. Since my car requires API SG oil, SM is more than enough and since the oil is pretty cheap I keep changing it every 6000 mi

You're doing just fine.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
What makes you think you need to change?
For 6000 miles, that oil should be fine plus it has proven to keep your car that long.

Well, I do 90% highway miles so I am easy on the oil, my mechanic wrote on in my service book to change it every 9000 mi, so I shortened my OCI a little.
Back when I was in Switzerland and was a kid, my father serviced the car at the dealer only (they probably used Toyota genuine motor oil) and we used 6000 mi OCI so that got a habbit as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back