High mileage oil additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks,

A friend of mine has 2006 Accord (~119000 miles) that has developed a minor leak. His mechanic suggested using some high mileage oil to see if it fixes the leak as he doesn't want to spend to fix the leak (He plans to trade in this car within a year). He has about a couple of gallons of regular oil stocked up and he would like to add the additive to this oil so that he can use it up. Is there any additive that can be mixed with the regular 5W-20 oil to turn it into high mileage oil?

My idea of just getting high mileage oil isn't getting any traction.

Thanks in advance.

The high mileage oil sounds like a plan to me. I wouldn't be messing with additives for stopping oil leaks.

Originally Posted By: MoneyJohn
He has about a couple of gallons of regular oil stocked up and he would like to add the additive to this oil .....

No, save that oil foe the "next car"

Just buy some cheap HM oil and use that.

Mobil 1 5w-30 high mileage oil would be a good choice. We have a '93 Civic with almost 300,000 miles on it that had slight leaks from both front and rear main seals.
For years we ran Mobil Super high mileage 5w-30 and then switched to the full synth high mileage in order to extend the OCI and within 500 miles the leaks stopped.

Yeah I would stick to HM oil myself. Not all additives are made the same. Some help rejuvenate the seals with plasticizers which can be safe with moderation while others just use a strong dissolvent which eat away at the gaskets causing them to turn very soft and expand but virtually destroy them.

Oil companies spend a lot developing their blends and will not want to ruin their brand over a cheap quick fix. They are temporary fixes while HM can work for a long time with regular use. Would help the car and the next owner too. A lot of people want to chuck their problems at others.

Doesn't hurt nor cost much more to show some pride of ownership and at least try and help solve the problem if they are not interested in fixing it correctly.

I have always had good results with MaxLife.

They even offer a fully synthetic High Mileage and WM carries it now at a great price.

No additives. Just oil.

Additives where necessary if nothing else fails.

Any HM is worth a try though.

He should change out the pcv valve on the car with an oem unit. Usually the internal spring breaks around the 60k mark.

Originally Posted By: TOMJ
then switched to the full synth high mileage in order to extend the OCI and within 500 miles the leaks stopped.

Was that a Mobile synth high mileage and if so which one?

What is minor leak?

IMO, I will try to id where the leak is and see if it can be fixed DIY cheaply.
Go from there.

What if that minor leak becomes big leak before the 1 year or that minor leak can cause the engine to fail?

In the past I used Valvoline's Maxlife Oil Additive. I was mixing it with VWB I bought on sale. Do they even sell the Maxlife additive anymore?

Can anyone elaborate on the PCV valve connection to the leak?

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
What is minor leak?

IMO, I will try to id where the leak is and see if it can be fixed DIY cheaply.
Go from there.

What if that minor leak becomes big leak before the 1 year or that minor leak can cause the engine to fail?

All valid questions that have already been raised but he doesn't want to see it that way. Hence, I am in no mood to touch his car so I am trying to help 'at the periphery'. He can do all he wants. I would not drive a car knowing something is not right, be it a minor leak.

Last edited:
PCV valve helps with crankcase ventilation. Useless, a plugged PCV system/valve results in oil consumption, not leaks. It is worth checking to ensure proper crankcase gas movement. I don't know if they could lead to increase pressure but they certainly can affect piston oil control ring functionality if neglected over time. Not sure if it would directly affect engine seals.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
PCV valve helps with crankcase ventilation. Useless, a plugged PCV system/valve results in oil consumption, not leaks. It is worth checking to ensure proper crankcase gas movement. I don't know if they could lead to increase pressure but they certainly can affect piston oil control ring functionality if neglected over time. Not sure if it would directly affect engine seals.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back