Castrol extended edge synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sdg

I'm a courier driving a 2015 Mazda 3 doing 250 highway miles per day, approximately 6,500 per month and presently have 225000 miles on it. I use Castrol Edge synthetic motor oil as per manufacturer and am considering going with the Castrol Edge extended synthetic to cut down on the number of oil changes I do per year. The car is running great I do not burn any oil, so my questions are,
1. Would you recommend I make the switch now given the number of miles I have on the car
2. If so would a different type of oil filter be required.

How often do you change your oil now?

Given that most of your driving is hwy, I would think you could easily do 10K miles OCI even on your current oil. Maybe even 15K, but you might want to do a UOA to confirm.

Welcome to BITOG!

I see no concerns with switching to a different oil now. If you can get your hands on one of the "extended life" filters that are designed for longer change intervals, it wouldn't be a bad thing.

With that much highway mileage, your motor oil isn't getting worked that hard. I assume you change it once a month?

With the number of miles you drive per year you should definitely be driving a hybrid. You should do some research on the internet about the government sites that compare different hybrid vehicles. Hybrids pay for the extra cost in a short enough time if you drive them 15K miles a year. If you drive more than 15K miles per year the payback time is even shorter. With the kind of driving you do a hybrid will save you a heck of a lot of money.

If the filter can be easily changed, I would be changing filters at say 3-5k and topping off.

Adding top-off oil does refresh the additive package somewhat.

As far as the Castrol Edge Extended Synthetic, you can switch to it at any time.

Last edited:
How do you go about becoming a courier!? Id love that job...I use to do pizza delivery

I second the hybrid suggestion next, I love my prius

I change at 7500 miles, which is about 35 days. Thanks for the feedback, I'll do the UOA
And look into the hybrid option.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
What about using the new Mobil 1 annual protection oil, it is rated for 20,000 miles or one year which ever comes first.

Good suggestion.

I was an operations manager for a home infusion company we used couriers to supplement for our drivers. Finally decided to work for myself and had plenty of contacts so I made the move and went out on my own. The healthcare industry uses a lot of couriers, home health care, lab testing, specialty Pharmacies.

Very good suggestion, I do 78,000 annually so that would be the way to go. Thanks

Last edited:
Sdg, I wrote a paper on hybrids about a year ago. Some hybrid vehicles have a much bigger savings than others. If I remember correctly some of the larger vehicles like SUVs have an extremely long pay back time, while others have a much shorter pay back time.
Check out "www.fueleconomy.gov". Also I recently heard that Hyundai is offering a life time warranty on the main drive battery of their hybrids.

Last edited:
Sdg, If I were doing a job where I drove 250 miles a day I would chose a Toyota Camry Hybrid. It gets a little less MPGs than some of the other smaller vehicles but it is large enough for a tall person and probably has a much nicer ride for someone with a bad back like I have.

A fram ultra or something similar would work well in your application. Also if you get another newer vehicle what I would do is get a UOA and see about how much further you could extend your oil changes.

Also messaged you OP asking for advice on a courier job.

Your driving is super easy on the engine and any oil. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
With the number of miles you drive per year you should definitely be driving a hybrid. You should do some research on the internet about the government sites that compare different hybrid vehicles. Hybrids pay for the extra cost in a short enough time if you drive them 15K miles a year. If you drive more than 15K miles per year the payback time is even shorter. With the kind of driving you do a hybrid will save you a heck of a lot of money.

Maybe. If it's highway miles, OP won't benefit from the engine running on battery very often. He can get some of the aerodynamic benefits, but something like a diesel might actually do better. There are some VERY efficient vehicles for highway use.

Mobil 1 Annual Protection and a Fram Ultra oil filter, both go for 20,000 miles no problem, like others have suggested above.
Walmart has the oil down to about $30 per 5-quart jug with a $10 walmart gift card rebate. In any case, the extra cost of the oil is more than made up for by the savings in time & labor from skipping oil changes some.

Actually, hybrids get much better highway gas millage because they run the gasoline engine at close to maximum power which is also maximum efficiency. Once the battery is charged up it shuts off the gasoline engine and runs on battery until the battery again requires charging and then it starts the gasoline engine and charges the battery again.

Look at the website www.fueleconomy.gov and look at the highway MPG ratings.

The OP needs a gasoline/electric hybrid for the range he drives. Very few all electric vehicles are actually good for 250 miles on one charge.

The life of the hybrid drive battery seams to be more limited by age than miles, but if it was a concern there was recent information about Hyundai having a lifetime warranty on the main drive battery of their hybrids.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back