Possible Diesel Scrappage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is knee-jerk reaction by politicians that want to play to the electorate. By 2040 my fusion powered car will be 2 years old and on it's second set of no-rolling-loss tires.

Call me a cynic, but nothing is ever as it seems.
1. Electricity imported from what country? Possibly Scotland after the Brexit?
2. Perhaps these comments are a pushback against tighter emissions, get the populace riled up to vote a certain way or for a particular candidate.
3. Gives politicians from any viewpoint or party face time, that's why the proposal is 23 years out. Create a "talking point" while other pressing issues are ignored.

Those are just a few......

quote:
"Instead of pollution taxes, councils will be urged to improve the flow of traffic with measures such as removing speed humps to prevent cars repeatedly slowing down and speeding up, which almost doubles the amount of harmful gasses they pump out.

Other options which are expected to be put forward include better sequencing of traffic lights to ensure that drivers will keep arriving at green lights rather than red ones if they drive within the speed limit."

hmmm, traffic flow optimization.... what a new concept

Originally Posted By: pandus13

No kidding!

I also read that "drive-thru" lanes (alone) burn 13 million gallons of gasoline a year, or something like that. Which is only a drop in the bucket, since all road congestion wastes 1.9 billion gallons of gas every year.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: pandus13

No kidding!

I also read that "drive-thru" lanes (alone) burn 13 million gallons of gasoline a year, or something like that. Which is only a drop in the bucket, since all road congestion wastes 1.9 billion gallons of gas every year.

let me look at it from a different side:

The last big fire for that tall building which was all over media: how much volume of pollutants it had out in the air? equivalent of how many diesel vehicles?

just to "insulate" an old cheaply built building?

hmmm, this sounds like a witch hunt for something which was good/ approved and promoted (Diesel) about 10-15 years ago....

I read that blurb. I'm taking a wait and see attitude. Unless we have some massive improvements in battery energy density I don't see liquid motor fuel going away completely.

Last I checked, 2040 is a generation away. Plenty of time for laws and regulations to be revised, rescinded of altered. No blowback on today's politicians as they will almost all be out of office by then. If they are still around, they'll have plenty of time to figure out how they will spin the changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back