Patch for trans cooler line to limp to shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow up to this thread (on my 96 Cherokee, 4.0 AW4 trans)
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...coo#Post4470396

The leak is in the rubber part of the line (circled in red)

The shop is about 5 miles away, just in town driving. Would it be foolish to try and splice it together to drive it to the shop? I was thinking either getting a barb and a few hose clamps or trying some rubber adhesive tape. Or should I just get it towed?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'd pick up a short piece of heater hose (2") with approx the same ID as that hose OD, split it, wrap it around that hole and secure it with a hose clamp or two. It may leak some while you drive to the shop but just top off the fluid before you go, it'll be fine.

Last edited:
I'd cut the line right at the leak and slip a hose over it and clamp it. It'll get you there. I believe trans cooler lines only have a max of maybe 15 psi.

SAE J30R9 fuel injection hose would be the best option. It can handle the heat, pressure (depending on vehicle, you can have ~60PSI in the cooler lines), and ATF chemistry. SAEJ30R7 fuel line would be a second choice for a short limp-in.

Follow the good advice above on a temp repair and be sure to check your ATF fluid level before you start driving to be sure you haven't lost alot already.

Originally Posted By: John_VT
Barbed fitting and hose clamps would be all I'd do. Top off and on the road again.

100% - I've even done this with hydraulic hoses!! (turned out to be a permanent repair, too)

Yup I should have specified that would be a semi-permanent fix. Also was thinking it's a good time to put a inline filter in

Thanks for the help everyone. Got a piece of bigger hose to wrap around it (O'reilly's just gave me a piece from the scrap bin) and 4 hose clamps, made it just fine to the shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back