Bad STP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed the oil on my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder V6 the other day and now I seem to be getting an excessive amount of start up noise that I did not have before? I'm thinking bad or defective anti drain back valve on the filter? It's a basic STP blue can (non ecore) filter. The oil is the same Valvoline Synpower 10w30 I have used the last two changes.

Only way to know is to swap out the oil filter and see if the noise goes away. Most likely is the ADBV leaking over night.

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
Don't risk it with cheapo filters, spend a bit more and get a mahle, wix or hastings/Baldwin!

I agree I was in the store so I took a shot on the cheep STP frankly I did not like the little size anyway. I just found a Fram Ultra in my stash I forgot I had I will throw that on tomorrow and see if that solves the issue. I'm sure it will I have used several FU's with good results.

That blue can STP is probably one of the worst filters on the market now. I saw anything from leaking base gasket to burst can to failed ADB valve on those. There are a couple exceptions, but most blue cans suck.

I've never had any issues running those Autozone STP filters but then again I realize they are basically an average quality filter. I still prefer and STP over a Fram EG.

Cold engine / startup noise complaints are minimal with Frams, regarding all the GM products I've owned over the years. Silicone ADBVs are always preferred over nitrile to improve chances for quieter startups.

If I remember correctly, the oil filter on this engine is a horizontal mount. The ADBV function would have to be almost perfect to keep the oil filter full of oil. A silicone ADBV would be better than the nitrile rubber.

I have a STP S-10590 off a friends 2015 F-150 work truck that didn't tear. He bought the filter at Autozone near my place. I'll post it tomorrow afternoon

Looking forward to it Car51! That's the size that fits my wife's Mustang.

The AZ nearest my house is still stocked with Ecores in the blue can STP filters; however the black can STP XL filters on the shelves all now show to be Made in China instead of Korea so the XL filters must have a much higher turnover locally.

The STP blue cans at local AZs in this area are still a combination of the old fram filtration filters (Fram/Champ). Examples include the shorty 6607 being Champ made classic design, the S2808 being fram fiber construction and the common 3614 being an ecore. At last check a month or so ago they had manufacture dates into late April of this year.

That finding is contrary to information posted dating back to February of this year on this board that all STP blue cans had been off shored and that remaining was old stock. But, perhaps 'if' that happens at sometime in the future then it can be said to have been true. At this point at least in this area though, not so.

To topic, sounds like a compromised adbv. While it can be annoying, hardly a death knell for the engine.

Little update ..

I replaced the Blue can STP with a Fram Ultra that I found on my shelf (I think it was a model 7317?) anyway it's the one that fits the 4.0 Nissan V6. This am I had no start up noise so quite a difference I think I will keep this filter on for two 5,000 mile oil changes I know I could go longer but in the summer I change early when towing my camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back