A/C Fitting Leaking Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 Chevy Silverado. I had the hood open yesterday and noticed oil on the line in the first photo. It seemed to be coming from the valve under the nearest black cap. I took off the cap today after a drive and saw clear oil bubbling out of the valve. The liquid puddled on the inner fender in photo 2 is condensation, but a little oil seems to have gotten down there as well. The A/C system has never been worked on, and I haven't noticed any recent changes in cooling performance (yet). I have three questions: First, what is this part called? Second, can I fix it with a new part and a wrench, or will the refrigerant leak out? In that case, I would need to take it to somebody with the right equipment. If it comes to that, what will the job include? Thanks in advance--a lot of you have a lot more experience and know-how with A/C than I do.

The schrader valve can be replaced quite easily...but you'll need to evacuate the system first and then recharge it.

If you deal with a good shop, have them check over the whole system for leaks, then evacuate it, replace the valve and whatever else is leaking and have it vacuumed, then recharged.

Shouldn't be too expensive.

Originally Posted By: Canadastang
The schrader valve can be replaced quite easily...but you'll need to evacuate the system first and then recharge it.

If you deal with a good shop, have them check over the whole system for leaks, then evacuate it, replace the valve and whatever else is leaking and have it vacuumed, then recharged.

Shouldn't be too expensive.

Likely what he said... but I would first get a schrader valve tool and simply try tightening the valve. It might be leaking around the valve rather than through the valve, and that could save you a lot of headache!

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/milt...ECABEgJ5qvD_BwE

The high side does not use a schrader valve. It uses a ball type valve where you need to replace the whole fitting if it leaks. Bring it to a shop and have them change it out since the refrigerant needs to be evac'd. Have them change out the low side schrader valve too.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
The high side does not use a schrader valve. It uses a ball type valve where you need to replace the whole fitting if it leaks. Bring it to a shop and have them change it out since the refrigerant needs to be evac'd. Have them change out the low side schrader valve too.

Yep, the fitting needs to be replaced.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NDP7305607

Thanks for the replies so far. I expected to see a schrader valve under that cap--But there's actually just what looks like a piece of rubber. The back fitting does have a schrader, but not this one. Another video on the page MarkM66 linked shows somebody repairing the back valve on a Silverado.

Could there be a schrader valve under the fitting in my second photo? *EDIT* The last 2 posts came in while I was typing. Thanks for clarifying.

Last edited:
Just for reference, that rear fitting is the low side service port and the one leaking is the high side service port. Between the high side and where those two pipes come together (nuts) is where your orifice tube is located.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin

Agreed....

being the truck is 15+ years old,
there may be other things that should be replaced when the system is opened.

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
Just for reference, that rear fitting is the low side service port and the one leaking is the high side service port. Between the high side and where those two pipes come together (nuts) is where your orifice tube is located.

The "crimps" in the line is a dead giveaway
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back