Kohler 52-050-02 oil filiter cross reference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a Fram Ultrta XG3614 is a good cross reference. Any problems problems choosing the Fram Ultra over the Kohler?
I read the the Fram 3614 pressure relief is 12 PSI. Is that a problem?

The specifications:

HT: 3-1/8-inch, outside diameter 3-inch, Seal outside diameter: 2-13/16
Relief pressure: 8-11 PSI, Anti-drain back valve

Last edited:
I'm running the longer case CQ Blue 85516 (Wix made TG3600 equivalent) on the Kohler engine on my ZTR, there's plenty of room on my engine for this longer filter size.

I've had the Fram TG3614 on our 19hp Kohler for the last 10 hours of use. You're fine.

Fram 3600 or equivalent if it fits, may be too long...

Fram 3614 or equivalent is just a little longer than the Kohler....

Originally Posted By: Patrick0525

I read the the Fram 3614 pressure relief is 12 PSI. Is that a problem?

It won't, because the filter is about 10 times larger than it needs to be....
The bypass valve will never, ever open when run on an engine with such a tiny oil pump.

We use Baldwin BT223 (3614 equivalent) on the Kohlers at work with no problem. But the proper substitute for the Kohler 52-050-02 is the Wix WL10068, made specifically for Kohlers.

I just bought a club cadet Rzt S 42 zero turn with a Koehler 22hp 7000 Kt725. Is there enough room to fit the XG3614 since it much longer?

Originally Posted By: Patrick0525
I just bought a club cadet Rzt S 42 zero turn with a Koehler 22hp 7000 Kt725. Is there enough room to fit the XG3614 since it much longer?

The Fleetguard LF 3826 is a short quality oil filter that fits the tight spaces.
I have pictures of one cut open on here.

What's wrong with OEM never heard or seen a issue currently running one right now yearly run and be cutting it in Open in October Ecore yes but see no problem with design.

Fram XG3614 height= 3.343"
http://www.fram.com/search-parts/Part-Detail/?PN=XG3614&CP=&PT=&OF=&MF=&OT=

Kohler sells three different sizes of oil filters:
(1) Small 2.25" (28-050-01-S)
(2) Medium 2.75" (12-050-01-S)
(3) Large 3.5" (52-050-02-S). The only difference between these three oil filters is the length, and thus the filtering capability. The smaller filters are made for applications where there is not adequate clearance for the larger filters

https://www.shopyourway.com/questions/1108268

Once, I get I need the ZTR mower, I need to determine what I have.

Last edited:
Preliminarily, it looks like it is the 2.75" version
http://www.cubparts.com/oemparts#/Cub_Cadet/RZT-S42_KH_(17ARCBDS010)_(2017)/.Quick_Reference/NP100541-A/NP1005410013

Do you think there is enough clearance for the larger 3.5" version?

Kohler sells three different sizes of oil filters:
(1) Small 2.25" (28-050-01-S)
(2) Medium 2.75" (12-050-01-S)
(3) Large 3.5" (52-050-02-S).

Originally Posted By: dave123
What's wrong with OEM never heard or seen a issue currently running one right now yearly run and be cutting it in Open in October Ecore yes but see no problem with design.

Nothing wrong with OE filters except they're 3x the cost for 1/3 the filter.

Originally Posted By: funflyer

you have data that supports that statement that it's a 1/3 the filter or inferior in any way. I will be posting a UOA betting the filter is doing its job as good as any would. Me personally air intake is by far more important to keep in tip top shape.

I wish this topic would just stop coming up on here so often.

ANY oil filter that fits will filter the oil, (no matter how small) since these engines have a VERY low volume oil flow system, and anyone that recommends a 3600 sized filter (way too large) is Honestly spreading bad (or at least not the best) information.

I bought my CQ Blue 3600 size filter on closeout for a LOT less $$$$ than OEM.

Been running it a year and a half now with zero issues.

It makes an oil & filter change an even one and a half quarts on my mower.

What is your perceived harm in running a 3600 size filter?

FWIW I used 8A size filters for decades on my cars until the same engines started specing the 16 size filters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: funflyer

you have data that supports that statement that it's a 1/3 the filter or inferior in any way. I will be posting a UOA betting the filter is doing its job as good as any would. Me personally air intake is by far more important to keep in tip top shape.

I meant 1/3 the size and, yes I'm sure they filter as well as any paper element. I won't give $10-$15 for an OE filter when any other filter costs much less. Here's the Kohler filter, 1205001, that replaced the original OE filter, same part #, from my mower. Note half the element size and twice the glue. I fail to see any added value in using OE.

28gt3ro.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back