Dexron 6 in a mMopar 904?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to drop the pan and change the filter onmy 904 transmission in my 1984 Chrysler Fifth Avenue.
I have around 7 liters of Dexron 6 available, will it be ok to put it in?. There is nothing wrong with the transmission as far as I'm aware, the oil is a good color and smells fine.
If Dexron 6 won't do, what will?.

Thanks in advance.

Claud.

NO!

Those transmissions do not like anything but the correct spec'd fluid.

There will be something wrong with the transmission if you put in the wrong fluid. They will not last with Dex/Merc.

YES, Dex VI is OK in that application, and here's why:

Dexron III was the original specified fluid for an 80s 904, and Dexron VI is PERFECTLY FINE because its long-term viscosity stability is so much better than Dexron III. An 80s 904 was built before there was any such thing as Mopar ATF+3 or +4 series fluids which were developed for the A604 (later 41TE) and followint transaxles. The 904 and 727 both work just fine with ATF+, but they dont NEED ATF+

DO NOT assume that just because its a Chrysler transmission that it has a special need for ATF+ type fluids. 40 years worth of Chrysler transmissions existed before ATF+ fluid existed. The old rear-drives do not need it, and to be quite honest even the 90s-built truck rear-drives (4xRH) that were based on the 904 and 727 don't really need ATF+ even though that's what they were filled with at the factory.

Personally, I tend to use Mobil 1 ATF in my old 727s, but Dexron VI would be my next choice and ATF+4 would be my third option.

Chrysler didn't call for anything special in older Torque-Flite series, but they did call for it later on. Dex 6 should work fine.

ATF+3/4 came into the picture when the FWD trannies with electronic controls came onto the market.

On all my DEX6 jugs, I see nothing pertaining to Chrysler products. I myself would go with ATF 4 even on all the older units.I would research this, not on a forum where you will get a dozen different answers.

Last edited:
When putting shift kits in Mopar 727's it was common practice to put 4qts Ford type F back in. Made the clutches stick faster for better, less slipping, gear changes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oldhp
When putting shift kits in Mopar 727's it was common practice to put 4qts Ford type F back in. Made the clutches stick faster for better, less slipping, gear changes.

Yep, I guess you and me were reading the same tech articles way back when
thumbsup2.gif

ATF+ came out in the 90's to bandaid shuttering problems with the then new electronic lockup TC OD transmissions.

Your 904 came with Dexron.

Torqueflights will run on Type F...but if your just dropping the pan there will still be tons of Dex left up in the case and converter. I wouldn't mix personally. I ran type F in a 727 that I did some bubba hopups on (chucked accumulator spring, line pressure cranked, 5.0 kickdown lever etc). It worked fine but I wish I never switched. I was always worried about forgetting and topping off with DEX by mistake.

Dexron 6 is backwards compatible with all other dexrons before it.

Don't forget to adjust the bands when your in there
cool.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
I always ran a good Type-F in all my Torque-Flite 904's and 727's

I'm wondering what the worst case scenario would be to doing the same with the 4L60E?

Originally Posted By: peejaycruiser

I'm wondering what the worst case scenario would be to doing the same with the 4L60E?

DESTRUCTION.

Originally Posted By: peejaycruiser

The stock Reaction Sun Shell & Forward Sprag don't like shock.

Originally Posted By: oldhp

Yep, I guess you and me were reading the same tech articles way back when
thumbsup2.gif

Yep, Straight from B&M Trans Shift Kits.

Originally Posted By: CrAlt
ATF+ came out in the 90's to bandaid shuttering problems with the then new electronic lockup TC OD transmissions.

Your 904 came with Dexron.

Torqueflights will run on Type F...but if your just dropping the pan there will still be tons of Dex left up in the case and converter. :

Torqueflites prior to the '89-up electronic FWDs will run on pretty much anything halfway oily without failing or complaining. But as has been said (repeatedly...) Dex VI is actually the most "correct" replacement, since it directly supercedes the Dex III that was the original fill. ATF+4 is also close enough to the Dex family to work, but IMO if you don't NEED the ATF+4 friction modifier package for the torque convertor clutch, Dex VI is actually a slightly better, more shear stable fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back