Cooper zeon vibration troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I bought new tires a few weeks ago. At first they were ok after a few days they developed a vibration. Took them back they roadforced them and said they looked great. They still vibrated at highway speed. So I went back again and then again to the Dodge dealer that couldn't find any issue at all. So finally cooper agreed to replace the tires. They new ones were even worse the first set was annoying but you could live with it it. But the second set were horrific! They road forced them and they were still bad. Went to another shop same chain different location they re checked them and said they were good to. So I finally said look I'm done give me another brand of tires. So they gave me a set of uniroyals and swore it couldn't be the tires. Well I said whatever I don't care at this point put something else on and let's see. So they did. And now the car drives as smooth as ever. I had a bad experience with cooper a few years back they cs4 it wouldn't seat on the rim correctly and cause a vibration. 5 sets all did this . I thought I'd give them another shot and I paid for it. I guess them being made in China makes sense. The quality is probably suffering. I will not ever buy another set of coopers no matter how pleasant the deal looks. I am just blessed that I was able to get it resolved before Friday I leave st 5am for Colorado and did not want to shake all the way their!

Did you get the printout from the road force measurement ? If you get a vibration from the tire or wheel, I would think it must show up in the road force balance.

Had the exact same problem with Coopers. Found that the tires were OUT OF ROUND!! Finally had to replace all four after they replaced three of them one at a time and all the replacements were out of round. I have never used Cooper tires since that debacle.

I'm not a fan of coopers, never like the way they ride, but never had issues this bad. Sorry about what happen to u, sounds stressful.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Are we talking about temporary flat spots - ones that disappear after a few miles of driving?

Where did this pretty bad as well but know what I'm talking about is they rode terrible and vibrated for the steering wheel quite a bit because the tires were not round

Sorry to hear that. I've had a few sets of Coopers now and I've been very satisfied with them so far. The zeon's were made in China? All mine so far are made in USA.

Is this the same car that putting another set of wheels and tires from your fiancés car didn’t fix the vibration on and that subsequently went violently left at 65 miles per hour?

Last edited:
Cooper is still American owned.. and as far as I know, Chinese Cooper tires are not sold in the US.

What else is there to the story? You had an 8 page thread on the mechanical forum and convinced everyone it had nothing to do with tires. Never mentioned the brand, or that another new set of Coopers where tried. You said you put your girlfriends wheels and tires on, and it made no difference in vibration, and never added to that thread that you had solved your problem with the 3rd new set of tires, after checking/changing a bunch of other parts??? I would think that with all the shops that tried to solve your vibration issue, that if a tire was out of round it could have been easily spotted. Hard to believe that 8 tires were out of round. If they were actually checked on a Hunter it would have shown all 8 tires were bad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I have a set of Cooper RS3A's and they have been trouble free. Great grip and ride smooth. Made in China too.

Thanks for the info! Didn't know china coopers were showing up.

Same issue years ago on my Contour. Got tires at Pepe boyz went back 3 times. lead Mechanic got them "tolerable" by repositioning them on the rim. Still a lot of weights on the rim to effect balance.

They still had VERY high rolling resistance compared to the OE tires ( whatever they were )

Handled Good. Not a Falken but, OK.

I have a set of RS3-S Coopers, made in China.

Balanced out so-so, flat spot after sitting overnight, so they vibrate for 5 minutes in the morning, oh yeah and I've had to have all 4 remounted due to leaking around the bead.

This is on a set of rims that's had other tires with no leaks, and the same shop that I've used for years installed them.

A lot of reviewers online have complained about Cooper air leaks, so I have a hard time believing it's my rims or installer error.

I've read that 11 page thread in the Mechanical/Maintenance Forum. Boy, what an ordeal.

One of the reasons I asked if it was a flat spot issue is that it is exceedingly rare that 2 sets of tires would cause a vibration.

Now having read that thread, I'm wondering if the problem is something else entirely that was inadvertently fixed when the 3rd set of tires went on. I can think of a couple of things involving a slight mismount on the vehicle, but wonder what additional information there might be.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Is this the same car that putting another set of wheels and tires from your fiancés car didn’t fix the vibration on and that subsequently went violently left at 65 miles per hour?

Yes another dealer found a bad axle and replaced it. But then they noticed the tires were some of the issue as well. Even after replacing the axle I had some vibration it was a lot better but not perfect. Cooper agreed they weren't right swapped them the swapped set were worse and then they gave me a different brand of tires and now it rides good.
And to reiterate yes the cooper Zeons were MADE IN CHINA . Both sets were.

Originally Posted By: Traction
What else is there to the story? You had an 8 page thread on the mechanical forum and convinced everyone it had nothing to do with tires. Never mentioned the brand, or that another new set of Coopers where tried. You said you put your girlfriends wheels and tires on, and it made no difference in vibration, and never added to that thread that you had solved your problem with the 3rd new set of tires, after checking/changing a bunch of other parts??? I would think that with all the shops that tried to solve your vibration issue, that if a tire was out of round it could have been easily spotted. Hard to believe that 8 tires were out of round. If they were actually checked on a Hunter it would have shown all 8 tires were bad.

It was checked on a hunter the machine didn't pick it up. The cooper two came out and looked at the first set and said to replace them. I didn't say that in the mechanical forum because when I was typing in there this hadn't yet happened. So I had two issues a bad axle and bad tires . And yes 2 sets were apparently bad!! Same stuff I had from cooper a few years ago on a Saturn sl1 tried 3 sets none would seat on the rim correctly and it would cause a hop.

Thanks for the update. I almost bought a set recently. Kind of glad I didn't go forward with them. Bought some Nokian eNTYRES off of Amazon instead. Only $45.50 plus tax, fees etc... $195 shipped for all four. Will mount them next few days.

I've had a set of Cooper Zeon RS3-A tires on my Fusion for 14 months and about 24,000 miles, and have yet to have any sort of vibration, balance, or wear issues with them. They have been excellent tires since day 1.

For what it's worth, I drive approximately 110 miles a day round trip to work, M-F, about 96% highway @ 70-75Mph. I would think that if there was going to be a problem with the tires, I'd definitely notice it at these speeds, and after this many miles.

... perhaps you were just extremely unlucky and got two bad sets?

One other interesting observation: Even after ~24,000 miles, the tires still have between 7/32" and 8/32" of tread left.. Considering the warranty for them is 45,000 miles, and I still have a TON of tread left after half of that, I'm impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back