Expensive Fun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in an unzoned area of a rural township where it appears that there are no restrictions whatsoever regarding the discharge of firearms on one’s own property. Though I am not a gun owner myself, I have no problem with them as long as they are owned and used legally. What surprises me is the frequency of this usage. I have at least two – maybe four neighbors who seem to use their guns a lot. By a lot a mean many hundreds of rounds fired at any hour of the day or night...often this happens several days a week. Being very unknowledgeable about guns, the rate of fire would make me think that automatic weapons are in use...but that could be wrong. Over the 7/4 holiday somebody called the Sherriff’s office to complain about the noise. A deputy sheriff came out and soon left, apparently satisfied that no laws were being broken and the activity continued as before. I know nothing about what ammunition costs...but isn’t this a rather expensive pastime?

I guess the bright side to all this we don’t seem to have much of a problem with burglaries.

Sounds VERY annoying to me at the amount they shoot according to you.

We have a farmer who regularly hunts his farm behind us and it's never gotten annoying.

Yes that is very expensive.

Depends.

Some people have been buying and storing ammo for decades, and they could be sitting on thousands if not hundreds of thousands of rounds. If you bought it back when it was dirt cheap (like 9mm for a nickel a round or less) then it's really not THAT expensive of a hobby.

But unless you know exactly what they are shooting then it's all a guess. They could have fully legal machine guns (NFA/Class3) or it could be a 22lr gatling gun (which is legal to own).

It doesn't have to be too expensive. I reload 9mm for about $0.10ea (reusing brass), and i would guess you could reload 223 for as little as $0.30ea (again, reusing brass). My guess is that it's cheaper than going out for drinks, watching a movie, or a smoking habit.

Rent a single engine plane twice a week for a few hours. Or play 18 holes of golf on a premier course with a cart rental a couple of times a week.... You'll come back to the shooting sports running. Especially if you don't have to go anywhere to do it, other than your own backyard.

I just got back into archery. That aint cheap either if wanting good equipment. Good arrows are $10 and up. A good beginning target bow without rest, sights and stabilizers is 1k.

A weekend or 2 camping close to where you wanted to live around the 4th of July will give one an idea of your neighbors shooting habits.
South Tx is very hazardous from falling bullets on New Years

Bulk ammo is not bad and has come down in price.

Could be worse, local store had a sale on Tannerite here

I'm with Edward, I don't smoke or drink and the arms collection has been appreciating nicely.

Last edited:
...and whatever you buy, buy extra and store it.... Next anti gunner will drive prices high, can't buy and you are a ready seller at 4x the price!

There is money in ammo.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
...and whatever you buy, buy extra and store it.... Next anti gunner will drive prices high, can't buy and you are a ready seller at 4x the price!

There is money in ammo.

Anyone remember Obama gold:)

Realize that you are in America, and free people can do legal things on their property. Yes, even if it annoys the neighbors.

My best advice really is to get to know the neighbors and casually ask for some gun training/shooting if they are willing to help a newbie. You just might find a new hobby.

I took my dad, a lifetime anti-gunner, shooting last year and he thought it was the most fun he has had in a long time. Even vowed to buy his own gun. Folks that dont know anything about guns have a VERY one sided, not fact based, opinion. Honestly, as prevalent as guns are in America, you do yourself a big disservice to not at least go to a range and shoot many of the common guns that are popular today. Its only a few hours of your time and the cost could range from free (neighbors and friends) to $50 (paid range) to shoot some guns.

And yes, machine guns (auto weapons) are legal to own in many states. They are most likely shooting average, available everywhere semi-auto firearms, but many folks do own machine guns, which is a VERY expensive hobbies. Legal machine guns cost $25,000 to $100,000 EACH.

Well said bubbatime!!

01.gif

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Realize that you are in America, and free people can do legal things on their property. Yes, even if it annoys the neighbors.

My best advice really is to get to know the neighbors and casually ask for some gun training/shooting if they are willing to help a newbie. You just might find a new hobby.

I took my dad, a lifetime anti-gunner, shooting last year and he thought it was the most fun he has had in a long time. Even vowed to buy his own gun. Folks that dont know anything about guns have a VERY one sided, not fact based, opinion. Honestly, as prevalent as guns are in America, you do yourself a big disservice to not at least go to a range and shoot many of the common guns that are popular today. Its only a few hours of your time and the cost could range from free (neighbors and friends) to $50 (paid range) to shoot some guns.

And yes, machine guns (auto weapons) are legal to own in many states. They are most likely shooting average, available everywhere semi-auto firearms, but many folks do own machine guns, which is a VERY expensive hobbies. Legal machine guns cost $25,000 to $100,000 EACH.

Yep, this is America and neighbors don't have much respect for other neighbors these days.

I don't care how you stack it up...target shooting in the evening and at night as this poster has described is a pretty un-neighborly behavior.

OP, the problem with many gunowners today is they are actually looking for someone to say something so they can give the schpiel that its Murica and they can do as they please. Its become very emotional for some guys.

Check you house for holes in the siding, chips out of the bricks, etc.

If none you're OK and join the fun.

Just know that any bullet fired that goes thru a paper target keeps going,
you need a "back stop" like a big pile of dirt to catch the bullet.

First time shooters who hold a gun incorrectly will cause the gun to flip up
just enough to put a bullet over the target and the dirt and send it up to
a mile away (a 22) any other bullets can go 3 to 10 miles!

Originally Posted By: bioburner
I just got back into archery. That aint cheap either if wanting good equipment. Good arrows are $10 and up. A good beginning target bow without rest, sights and stabilizers is 1k.

Can't you make your own arrows cheaper?

I don't know if your talking about wood stick arrows or the aluminum fatboys or the most used now graphite spine oriented with runout of .001. Bare shafts are $10 and up, inserts, nocks, fletching, points. Like firearms the craft of making arrows is much like reloading ammo and is a whole hobby of its own.

I went to the range last month and spent nearly $175 in one hour for a lane, pistol rental, targets, and 200 rounds of rental-approved ammo. I'm starting to second guess this new hobby/sport I want to get into.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
........ 200 rounds of rental-approved ammo.

That's a financial disaster right there. Come with your own gun, ammo, and targets, and you'll save a bundle right out of the starting gate.

Well, I just bought 1,000 rounds of 9mm for $190 including shipping.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/sellier-be...ntract-ammo-mad

So, buy your own 9mm pistol, which can be had for $300 or so (S&W), then buy the ammo in bulk, which you can still do in VA. Then after, say, 10 range sessions in which you amortize firearm and ammo expenses, see what you're spending on a 200 round range session.

Might not be so bad...

I wish I could afford to shoot that much. I go every few months. I spend around $100 on ammo and drive 50 miles or so to a area of the desert that is open to shooting. I have a private range a few miles away but they charge too much and I like shooting steel targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back