Cast-Iron Skillets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Whenever these threads pop up on various forums, the majority espouse the virtues of cast iron and how much they adore their skillets. I hate mine. Everything sticks to it. It's heavy and takes maintenance and it's hard to clean.

how are they hard to clean?
yes. they take maintenence. swabbing with oil and baking it on. so difficult.
once a good cure is built on, they are slicker than slick. nothing will stick.
they hold heat like nothing else.

the best way to build up a good cure on the cooking surface is simply to cook with it regularly. it can be washed out, but keep soap exposure to a minimum.

some folks prefer a salt scrub. while it's still hot, pour some sat in, and scrub with a paper towel, and a pair of kitchen tongs.

again, SOOO difficult.

No my dear friend, it is a combination of bad build up to start with, and user error. Let me explain:
-i bought my pan from ALdi
-it said already seasoned
-it was much bumpy/rough surface then the pre-seasoned pictures of the Lodge others posted.
-it always smoked (used: vegetable oil, sun flower oil, some fat from sausages or pork), surfaces still stayed bumpy/rough, not sleek/non-stick
- i used outside on the grill for a year until i saw rust (6 months of cold weather, stayed in the grill cover)
-cleaned the rust, give it some bake at 350
-tried to use interior: still always smoked no matter what oil or what i was frying.

so i will "erase" with a wire wheel and some sandpaper the rough layer and start new with a smooth, then seasoned it right in 2 sessions,
so this may help me do the right stuff and start enjoying it

cheers my friend!

Bake cast iron at 450-500 degrees to burn off any old seasoning and loosen any rust. Sand/wire wheel it, then wash with soap and water, then season it with bacon grease and good as new.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Bake cast iron at 450-500 degrees to burn off any old seasoning and loosen any rust. Sand/wire wheel it, then wash with soap and water, then season it with bacon grease and good as new.

^^^This!^^^

Originally Posted By: pandus13

-I bought it "seasoned" from Aldi (probably chinese); it was really bumpy and not smooth
-EVERYTHING sticks to it.... Plus some smell.

I place mine into a bed of hot coals/embers to burn all the oils out of the cast iron.

The Critic: also some other threads, our BITOG-ers brothers recommended scoring the ebay for older pans (usually made in US, preferably before or after WW II)

I wonder why the pans made during WWII are no good...
confused.gif

just get an inexpensive lodge to start.
you do not need to buy online, they are same price or cheaper at sears or other stores. sometimes at hardware stores.

dont get the one with ridges if you want to do steaks get the flat (or pebbled) one.

you also want the regular pan if you are going to cook in butter or herbs or make a pan sauce or cornbread rather than a griddle.

Also suggest to just get the size for which you have a matching lid (e.g. from another pan).

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
I cook 90% of my food on a 10" made in USA Lodge. It took a few months of cooking to get a real non stick surface. I only clean it with bot water and a plastic scrub brush. The only thing I can't cook in it is crepes, they always stick! Anything else including eggs come out perfect every time and I spend about 1 minute cleaning it after every use.

Try different proportions of ingredients, maybe less sugar.
I've got 5 pieces of cast iron: 3 skiletts and 2 griddles. The largest of each is used commonly and doesn't stick. The other 3 used sparingly stick at times. Only one of them is Lodge, the others are chinese. The finish is about the same (bad), I don't know about the lead content though.

OP, don't mess with the small skillets, go for 10-12 inch ones.

Originally Posted By: Lenny5160
The Critic: also some other threads, our BITOG-ers brothers recommended scoring the ebay for older pans (usually made in US, preferably before or after WW II)

I wonder why the pans made during WWII are no good...
confused.gif

Only a guess but I doubt they produced cast iron skillets during WWII, with rationing and all resources and manufacturing going to the War Effort instead.

I see no reason to pay $100 for a new cast iron skillet. If its a brand you just want , sure go for it. But it will not cook better than a lodge or my favorite, an antique Griswold.

Griswold pans were commanding $70-100 for a large one. Antique prices have dropped. You may can get one for less. I'd have several Griswold pans from the '20's. They are unique and cook great!

You may already know how, but properly season and maintain cast iron. Its easy, and done right, very non stick.

Last edited:
Whenever these threads pop up on various forums, the majority espouse the virtues of cast iron and how much they adore their skillets. I hate mine. Everything sticks to it. It's heavy and takes maintenance and it's hard to clean.

Either your pan is not properly seasoned, and not hot before use, or you are cleaning it incorrectly.

Cast iron needs to be hot before food is added, and I never clean it with soap.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

Either your pan is not properly seasoned, and not hot before use, or you are cleaning it incorrectly.

Cast iron needs to be hot before food is added, and I never clean it with soap.

Exactly, once you have it seasoned it's non stick, but never clean with dish soap. It's a grease cutter and will remove the non stick seasoning. I clean mine with a warm wet sponge and it cleans instantly. Keep the Dawn dishwashing detergent far away.

how are they hard to clean?
yes. they take maintenence. swabbing with oil and baking it on. so difficult.
once a good cure is built on, they are slicker than slick. nothing will stick.
they hold heat like nothing else.

the best way to build up a good cure on the cooking surface is simply to cook with it regularly. it can be washed out, but keep soap exposure to a minimum.

some folks prefer a salt scrub. while it's still hot, pour some sat in, and scrub with a paper towel, and a pair of kitchen tongs.

again, SOOO difficult.

Yup, this is what happens. Someone gets all butt hurt and acts like you insulted their religion when you don't like cast iron pans.

Yup, this is what happens. Someone gets all butt hurt and acts like you insulted their religion when you don't like cast iron pans.

Not insulted at all. I have some non stick modern cookware as well. Just that if you have food sticking, you are not doing something right. Not your fault, not everyone knows how to keep them.

At the same time, the downsides are , they are heavy, take up room, and will scratch glass cooktops.

My wife, the chef, would take issue with anyone who disses cast iron. We have a mix of Griswold and Lodge, and they're both good. They're easy to clean, cook evenly and no wondering what sort of mystery coating was put on some multi-layered wonder. We went the laminated, the stainless, the ceramic, T-Fal, Armor-All and whatever else is there for a short time and after 138 years of marriage, the cast iron out cooks and out lasts the other stuff. The junk stuff makes good targets before they go to the recycler.

I admit to having issues boiling water, making coffee and cooking breakfast, but if I can come to love cast iron, anyone can.

Cleaning is easy as is 're-seasoning' if necessary. Also, Costco's version of "Pam" spray for cooking actually works better than Pam at high temps.

coffee2.gif

Take a look at local thrift stores. Many people don't particularly like cast iron and get rid of them. My wife found two Lodge pre-seasoned 10" skillets for about $10 each. I didn't have to recondition them to use them, but Lodge has good info on their website on how to restore abused cast iron. Review the info and then you will have a better idea on what you are really looking for.

I cook, so I know this!

With a skillet (which is different than a frying pan which is different than a saute pan), what you want is even heat. Cast iron provides that, and is a favorite for slow cooking, since once it warms (slowly!) but it holds heat longest. But, for a quick sear, it's not nearly as ideal as a carbon steel (Lodge, a favorite) skillet...it heats quicker, it distributes the heat as evenly and effectively as cast iron, and its far easier to maneuver b/c it's lighter.

Originally Posted By: Noey
But, for a quick sear, it's not nearly as ideal as a carbon steel (Lodge, a favorite) skillet...it heats quicker, it distributes the heat as evenly and effectively as cast iron, and its far easier to maneuver b/c it's lighter.

I agree, I prefer to heat up my cast iron slowly, to avoid cracks.

that's not hot enough to remove bad cure.
throwing it into a camp fire works, as does running it through your oven's self cleaning cycle. the other effective option is using caustic chemicals, Lye, oven cleaner, etc...

450-500 is the real temperature to carbonize the grease into a beginning cure. the manufacturers recommend 350 b/c lawyers.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: Noey
But, for a quick sear, it's not nearly as ideal as a carbon steel (Lodge, a favorite) skillet...it heats quicker, it distributes the heat as evenly and effectively as cast iron, and its far easier to maneuver b/c it's lighter.

I agree, I prefer to heat up my cast iron slowly, to avoid cracks.

Cracks in what?

Not the cast iron skillet?

I have never heard or seen this and I am not sure how it would happen since the material is expanding as its being Heated.
Cracks in materials typically occurr during a rapid cooling process.

Can you explain? Thanks

that's not hot enough to remove bad cure.
throwing it into a camp fire works, as does running it through your oven's self cleaning cycle. the other effective option is using caustic chemicals, Lye, oven cleaner, etc...

450-500 is the real temperature to carbonize the grease into a beginning cure. the manufacturers recommend 350 b/c lawyers.

???

Hmmm.....350* doesn't cause burns ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back