First post: LS460 with more vibration after M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
I wonder if the tech disconnected the battery by accident? You mentioned that it has smoothed out.

I wonder if the tech accidentally shorted the positive terminal to ground and blew the main fuse, which would effectively disconnect the battery.
I can't see any accidental mechanical disconnection happening.
Loss of battery power to car does seem like a likely explanation, though.
As the PCM relearned the engine smoothed out.
Makes perfect sense.
It sure ain't the oil.
No moly and low zinc Synpower is not especially smooth in my personal experience, although it isn't especially rough either.

Originally Posted By: planeman223
Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Here's a thought. Maybe your Lexus, which is just 40 miles shy of 100,000, is losing it's smoothness to age and wear. Maybe it's reacting badly to operating conditions like pinging and it's retarding intake valve timing with throttle plate pegged open (the modern version of retarding ign timing), that would explain the 'throaty sound' and possibly the vibration.

IDK what the accelerator pedal mounting situation is on your lexus, but a modern Toyota Corolla seems to have it's pedals mounted to a piece of cardboard- press/release it, it sounds cheap as garbage. Both being DBW there is no direct mechanical connection between the drivetrain and the pedal, so it would be whatever the pedals mounted to that's possibly being excited by vibrations.

I sure hope not Pete because at 100,000 miles, this Toyota V8 is barely broken in.

On the LS400 line with the 1UZ-FE V8 engine, a fresh new set of motor mounts usually made the motor feel butter smooth again. But your issue really might be the oil; try a fill of the Valvoline because I've had that stuff make cars feel smooth as silk after an oil change. It's really weird how that works. Some placebo effect for sure but definitely some mechanical basis. People who are in tune with their motors can easily 'feel' when something is different, or feels off.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
Valvoline 0w20 (including MaxLife) always smoothened out all engines that were previously on Mobil 1 0w20. Mobil 1 tries really hard to gain an extra 0.01MPG by lowering viscosity, and as result their 0w20 oil makes the engines sound and feel like sewing machines. Stick with Valvoline. Better yet - Valvoline MaxLife 0w20.

How much lower is the vis with M1 0-20 compared to Valvo 0-20? How long did you use M1 0-20?

On paper or VOA? Probably not a lot of difference in viscosity. BUT in the real world it seems like Mobil 1 0w20 is quite a poor performer. At least for me. A quiet engine is a happy engine, and M1 0w20 did not provide that for me.

1. I did not fuel the same day as the oil change.
2. Eskridge Lexus of OKC performed the oil change, and the service manager stated M1 when I asked.
3. I had the battery replaced in the vehicle last year and did not notice any difference in engine note/smoothness during the relearn process.

The ONLY difference was the addition of Mobil 1 0w-20 and I noticed it IMMEDIATELY.

1. I did not fuel the same day as the oil change.
2. Eskridge Lexus of OKC performed the oil change, and the service manager stated M1 when I asked.
3. I had the battery replaced in the vehicle last year and did not notice any difference in engine note/smoothness during the relearn process.

The ONLY difference was the addition of Mobil 1 0w-20 and I noticed it IMMEDIATELY.

1. So that rules out fuel.
2. Doubt that M1 caused the symptoms you described. Just not possible.
3. Anyplace will provide aux power to the vehicle for a batt change, even AAP for a free battery install. I suspect that there was an inadvertent loss of battery power to the PCM during the oil change and that the service department knew nothing about it. Only the errant tech knew or ever will. He should have test driven the car enough to have established PCM parameters and you would then have seen no difference either.
Anyway, if the car is running normally now, there is nothing more to be concerned about.

L_Sludger picked up on what I was getting at- engine mounts. They indeed do harden up with age and temp cycling but it's a progressive and slow process. It's just that 'immediate' difference that's puzzling.

Maybe the M1 (can we even be sure it was M1?) is causing pronunciation of some internal mechanical noise which the knock sensor is picking up on, causing ign timing and intake cam phasing to be retarded. That will affect the combustion efficiency, definitely affect the intake sound and possible smoothness of the engine? The Pentastar Engine ECU programming I know really likes to 'throttle' with the intake cam timing, that's why they sound like they're at WOT all the time (because they mostly are). The Lexus V8, with presumably the electronic intake cam phasers (confirmed it does), should have an even more aggressive intake cam timing regimen to respond to load, octane and knock issues. Anyway, really strange circumstewance with the given information. Trying a different oil to see if it reverses the effect could perhaps put this to rest?

Last edited:
The tri nuclear moly triboblah blah ester additive took a while to kick in and smooth out?

Or ecu reset during service?

Seems far fetched though so I'm on the valvoline paleo organic vegetarian compounds smoothing out the motor compared to that M1 junk.

Last edited:
Sounds like a troll!
Trolling.gif

Last edited:
when lexus gets a car sometimes they hook up a computer just to see if there are recalls or other firmware updates avail.

potentially, that was a source for a computer reset.

that being said ive run a couple changes of m1 on lexus vehicles and didnt like it either (oil consumption, felt less smooth in the butt dyno)

All of you M1 0w20 fans go out and try Valvoline/Maxlife 0w20, and then come back and speak from experience, rather than your guesses and doubts. All I see is "I doubt", "I find it hard to believe", etc... Try it, and come back with a healthy experience, based on reality and not your theories. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
This thread is like reality TV as opposed to reality ...

yes, and I find it disturbing that folks need to be reminded that TV is not real!

Back OT, every older car or truck that I have put ML in has responded very positively. I don't know how much their vibration levels changed but most were at the least much quieter...

Flame suit on! Yesterday I drained my 0w-20 M1 (confirmed) and replaced with 0w-20 Valvoline at Hendrick Lexus of Charlotte and yes, it's smoother. The engine is back to being silk (instead of throaty with more cabin vibration) and merging into traffic left no doubt there is in fact a difference (in the 1UR-FSE engine).

I'm not posting to cause a stir. These are my honest to goodness observations.

Lol, sometimes you just have to laugh. The goofy things attributed to motor oil in general is only exceeded by the goofy things attributed to Mobil 1. Which then is sometimes only exceeded by the goofy things attributed to 0W-20.

Guess we have to add "throaty" to the list.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Lol, sometimes you just have to laugh. The goofy things attributed to motor oil in general is only exceeded by the goofy things attributed to Mobil 1. Which then is sometimes only exceeded by the goofy things attributed to 0W-20.

I would add "throaty, increased engine vibration under throttle, and cabin noise" to your list. As soon as I pulled out of the parking lot I could instantly tell the difference.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

I would add "throaty, increased engine vibration under throttle, and cabin noise" to your list. As soon as I pulled out of the parking lot I could instantly tell the difference.

Right, but throaty is my favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back