Top off 10w-30 with 20w-50 ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed oil with Valvoline 10w30 a few days ago long story short installing new oil filter now (see post on bad STP filter) have Napa (Valvoline) 20w50 synthetic on the shelf would like to use a quart to top off I know it will increase the viscosity but it is summer is this ok?

Last edited by a moderator:
Should be fine as Silver stated. If the oil is at the bottom of the operating range why not just get the proper oil? We are only a couple months away from cooler weather

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Should be fine. How many quarts is your sump total?

Sump is approx 5.5 quarts Nissan VQ40DE V6 5w30 is recommended has 60,000 miles

This change will see high load lots of towing and change out at end of September with prob 4-5,000 miles.

I see no issues. Good engine, just wished that they had detuned it a bit for better mileage. My X with all fluids changed to synthetic I am getting 21 mpg. Happy travels

I topped off my 10w30 with 5w20 on the QR25DE NISSAN 4 banger. The engine was telling me it wanted a LIGHTER oil to run correctly.

What's the Motor telling you?

Does this have VVT? Hydraulic VVT are viscosity "picky" to get good low end torque; you have to keep the intake cam advanced at low RPM. Increasing RPM + Oil pressure retards cam timing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Just one quart ? Won't hurt a thing. Your engine may actually tell you it likes it that way.

Agreed. It will be beneficial to your engine. Oil naturally shears down to a lower viscosity, so topping off with a quart of heavier weight oil will likely bring it back to the perfect range. I purposely use higher viscosity top off oil.

Funny this thread mentions Nissan
I use to typically put a 5w30 or 5w40 in the VG30DE in my 300ZX, but I swear the engine "told" me it ran best on M1 15w50

My old SBC tells me it'll run on anything, 30wt,20w50, 10w40,10w30 and even 15w40, as long as the oil is fresh and has new filter as it should be!
thumbsup2.gif
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back