kohler ECV749

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gravely Commercial Pro Turn 260, 60 inch cut. It has a Kohler V-twin Model ECV749, 26.5 hp with 1,250 hours. I use it nearly everyday at work(thankfully have not had to sit in that old work truck at the gate lately) and it gets worked hard. I've been using 15W40 at 50-60 hr intervals with no problems, the one time I tried 20W50 it really did seem to lack power, so I've been using 15W40 since. We crank them up(we have two of them), let them idle for 2-3 minutes, then its full throttle till both fuel tanks run out, constantly bogging down in thick,wet grass shutting off the engines stopping in between. I looked up the oil specs for this engine, it shows 10W30 for 0 to 100 degrees, and straight 30 for 50 to 100 degrees. With 1,250 hrs on it, would it be safe to use straight 30, and would it maybe free up some power over the 15W40? Whatever I decide to go with, I'll start changing it at the recommended 100 hrs.

Thats pretty much what I'll do for the first start of the day. Start the mower and then I'll go and put the blower and weed whacker in the backyard. I don't always warm them up though, but most times I'm not really cutting thick grass so it's not like the engine is heavily loaded.

Kohler is all over the place with those graphs.
They list 20w50 for my 33 HP and suggest 10w30 is like a winter blend.
I think T6 Rotella 5w40 would be ideal for your commercial mower.
Great oil.

This is one of the many graphs Kohler puts out
And they change rapidly
This is for the Command series

I'm with that since it is a commercial machine and run hard plus at high temps

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
A mower needs synthetic oil imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back