Honda gas cap questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I did have that infamous "Check Fuel Cap" message once in my '07 Fit a while back, but it hasn't returned.

However, the nature of my question has to do with what is the definition of normal behavior for an OE Honda gas cap?

I did notice the gasket seemed to catch/release as if the gasket was binding a few months ago around this time. Obviously, I'm already suspecting the cap, but it has since then seemed to behave and I can tighten it to 2 or 3 clicks. The cap currently installed says "Tighten to Click" so I wasn't strictly following the 3 click rule often seen on aftermarket caps.

Sometimes when I go to re-fuel the cap seems to have loosened on it's own and requires minimal effort to unscrew. Is it not supposed to maintain the seal when you tighten it initially after refueling? Is that normal behavior? Am I not tightening it enough when going short of 3 clicks?

Thoughts appreciated and have a nice day.
smile.gif

13.gif

Do you refuel the gas tank while the engine is running?

Our friends '07 Honda Pilot requires(as do all vehicles) to turn off the engine while refueling, otherwise they would get a CEL. Apparently, they were in the practice of keeping their engine running while refueling their vehicle as they had often gotten that dreaded CEL...due to the gas cap.

Although I don't make it a habit of refueling with the engine running(I have done it), and I have never gotten a CEL after refueling my gas tank on any modern vehicle while keeping the engine running.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
The new CR-V has no gas cap. That solves that problem.

Same with the HR-V and I believe that Honda is moving in this direction with their vehicles.

Oh, I definitely avoid running the engine during fuel ups. I just was curious if a cap that seemingly requires no effort to remove after tightening down a few days earlier was normal? In other words, if I tighten until it clicks should it not hold that seal and therefore require some sort of effort to remove it? Instead, it seems to just be resting as though I didn't tighten it enough at previous filll up. That's the best way I can describe it and, yes, I did have the CEL once for "Check Fuel Cap".

However, I've noticed since disconnecting the battery the other week; to clean the terminals, it hasn't passed all readiness tests yet. It's been at least 500 miles since. If I had a way to see what has yet to set I'd guess EVAP system at this rate.
21.gif

By the way, if I wound up replacing the cap are there any decent aftermarket caps these days? AC Delco, Gates?

Interesting note on newer models not having a cap.

Sure there are some decent aftermarket caps however with a HONDA vehicle, I would stay with the HONDA Cap!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Sure there are some decent aftermarket caps however with a HONDA vehicle, I would stay with the HONDA Cap!

Ah, I suppose you're right. No experience needing to replace a gas cap before but it figures with a Honda.

I had to replace a Lexus gas cap early in the life of the Lexus(like 3 yrs)due to an EVAP code.
NONE of the tightening, tweaking of the gas cap did anything to get rid of the code including an aftermarket STANT cap but, replacing with an OE cap cured it just fine.

Last edited:
I have a Stant gas cap in my 2010 Fit and I haven't had any issues. Replaced it because I wanted a key lock in the cap.

One thing I've noticed on my F150, and then heard others say the same thing, is that when I would fill it up, I mean all the way to the top before heading on a long trip, I'd get the same issue and sometimes the engine would run rough for a few minutes. Don't know if Ford has some type of return line way up on the neck of the fill tube or some sort of vapor lock that the gets stuck in the system. So, as any other Ford owner had learned, don't fill the tank all the way up to the top.

I'm thinking that if it loosens over the period of a few days, then it's not doing its job correctly. If you tighten it three clicks and it's tight at that point but then a week later it's loose, I'd replace the cap. And I'd go with a Honda OEM.

I had the CEL come on a few weeks ago and it turned out to be the gas cap. My mech told me to go home and clean the cap and neck really good and CEL has not returned how ever I did notice what you are, little or no effort at all to remove the cap. I have to admit I didn't pay any attention to it before so I'm not sure it didn't do that before. If it the CEL comes on again I'll get a new cap and be done with it.

Running a Honda Pilot when filling up can cause a MIL to illuminate.

Never heard of that before but interesting to know.

Thanks for the input everyone. I might grab an aftermarket for cheap and keep the OE to do some testing since my readiness codes are unavailable to me.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Thanks for the input everyone. I might grab an aftermarket for cheap and keep the OE to do some testing since my readiness codes are unavailable to me.

I've replaced a gas cap on my 02 CR-V recently. I kept getting a CE light and my daughter said the cap came loose once when she filled up the car. I reset the CE multiple times and it kept coming back so I replaced it with a Duralast Fuel Cap Part Number: 6817A $10.69 from Autozone. It has been about a month and the CE hasn't come back since.

My 08 Accord has a warning message something like,"Fuel Cap is Loose" a few times since new. I re-tighten the cap and it went away. It must be coming lose somehow. I always turn a bunch of clicks.

Originally Posted By: Tundragod
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

I've replaced a gas cap on my 02 CR-V recently. I kept getting a CE light and my daughter said the cap came loose once when she filled up the car. I reset the CE multiple times and it kept coming back so I replaced it with a Duralast Fuel Cap Part Number: 6817A $10.69 from Autozone. It has been about a month and the CE hasn't come back since.

My 08 Accord has a warning message something like,"Fuel Cap is Loose" a few times since new. I re-tighten the cap and it went away. It must be coming lose somehow. I always turn a bunch of clicks.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Ironically, today it finally turned off the readiness test light. It still blinked before startup this morning, but after driving to work and then checking it before driving home it didn't come on. Confirmed it again when I got home.

I'll double check pricing but if an aftermarket really is 1/4 of the price...is it worth 4x in durability?

Get the Duralast one. Durability is in the name......
wink.gif
. If I were you, I'd spend the $10. Unless you want the Honda name on the gas cap, then buy the OEM.

Just leaving my 2001 Odyssey idling while filling the tank will generate a code, as will a 'loose' gas cap. Someplace (manual? Sticker?) there is blurb about tightening the cap until at least three clicks are heard. I just twist the cap until I hear a bunch of clicks and call it good. Sealing gaskets on caps can certainly deteriorate; in my case the solution was to simply read the instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back