Pennzoil Plat Euro 0w-40, 06 Odyssey, 7.6k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so here's my oil report from my 06 Odyssey, first run on PPE 0w-40, Microgreen 201-7 filter. Oil looks darn near brand new, TBN was still 6.0 at 7.65k miles with zero top-up! Tell me if I'm wrong, but this oil combo looks like it may last 15-20k?!? My other UOAs on the sheet looked nowhere near this good with slightly less mileage... first sample was unknown (purchased van with this fill), 2nd sample was old PP 5w-20. I went with the PPE because of higher HTHS with a lot of hot summer driving. I'm super impressed so far... opinions?

It doesn't seem that the 40 weight hurt anything (in a motor spec'd for 20 weight) and it certainly seems robust. 10K would seem easy to do on this oil in this application.

PS: I just realized you're running a Microgreen oil filter....you could probably change the filter at 10K and run another 5K (on the same oil) using a cheap oil filter.

15 to 20k is Euro oci, my old e39 had some bars left when I dumped oil at 17k. I bet that Honda can run 20k with even better (adjusted for mileage) results. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah I am really impressed so far with it. I didn't dump the oil, this sample was out of the Microgreen filter. I was hoping it would look ok, but this was phenomenal news. I will do another UOA from the filter at 15-16k and see how it compares. Even gas mileage hasn't suffered much- just did an 850-mile, 13.5 hour one-way trip thru the Alleghenies with the air on, cruise at 75, 4 people and the entire area behind the seats full of luggage... and still knocked down 24.2mpg (calculated). Last year a trip from Phoenix to Indiana with two people and no luggage returned about 25.1...

If these wear rates keep up, I probably won't drain until TBN gets down around 1.5. I know DNewton has said several times with wear rates at basically 1 ppm Fe/ 1k Miles, LET IT RIDE! 😁

Originally Posted By: pbm
It doesn't seem that the 40 weight hurt anything (in a motor spec'd for 20 weight) and it certainly seems robust. 10K would seem easy to do on this oil in this application.

PS: I just realized you're running a Microgreen oil filter....you could probably change the filter at 10K and run another 5K (on the same oil) using a cheap oil filter.

PBM- I am just changing the filter but replaced it with another Microgreen. I do have a few Bosch D+, but the Microgreen promises piqued my interest. I only dropped at 7650 because this was my first time with this oil and filter, and knew I had a 2k+ mile trip coming up this week. I wanted to know what was going on in the dump before rushing out foolishly. This time, my top up was all Lubegard Bio/Tech (about 4oz... a filter full) and next filter change will likely be PPE 0w-40 since it will likely be dumped shortly after that. Since I already have a UOA at 7.6k, the next sample will give me unbiased data on exactly what the Lubegard does!

Dblshock- I will keep an eye on it, but most of what I have seen is TBN normally drops quickly at the start of service and then tapers off slowly... the other thing is this is an ACEA A3/B3 oil specced for long term use in very demanding applications.. so I am hopefully but will be cautious. I'm trying to push the envelope to give the board some good info! Thanks!

My 1.5 did 44.8 mpg. (meter) 240mi. Sunday at least 5 pedal to metal passes, 170 mi. of I-system 75-85 air on and over sized tires...hardly an engine struggling with the extra lubrication films.

I'm not quite sure what you meant to share there... the Civic is a totally different machine. My point was that for a 3.5L brick with a running weight of around 54-5500lbs, I was pretty pleased with 24mpg actual at 75 in the mountains with the air on.

Euro Pennz 0w40 is great oil, yet it looks like a Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5w30 gold jug is best for that rig. Or M1 EP. 5w30 has more viscosity but not that much more so you don't lose as much power and MPG. 50% excessive HTHS in the 40 over a 20, 15% of power loss is engine friction, of which half of that is hydrodynamic (viscosity surfing), so about 7% of the 50% is 3% MPG and power loss. Most might not notice it. Using a dexos1 5w30 cuts it down to around a 1.5% MPG & power loss.

Shannows's fleet taxi data UOA's showed that it was more than just TBN that decided when an oil was done. In those studies the TAN crossing the TBN often triggered the end of the effective OCI. And in most cases that occurred at a TBN of around 4.0 to 4.5 on longer OCI's.

Awesome UOA post! I just changed the oil in my G20 to this Euro 0w40 and am very excited about it. Well, about as excited as one can be about an oil change
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Shannows's fleet taxi data UOA's showed that it was more than just TBN that decided when an oil was done. In those studies the TAN crossing the TBN often triggered the end of the effective OCI. And in most cases that occurred at a TBN of around 4.0 to 4.5 on longer OCI's.

Some detailed tracking of TBN, TAN, and the resultant PIN (pentane insolubles in the oil, AKA sludge, soot) shows the PIN is flat, then starts to rise, sometimes suddenly:
Backup_199901_Graphics_GM4.gif

The PIN is the hollow circle; DSC is anti-oxidant chemical additive strengh.

If we could detect PIN rise, maybe with a simple dropper-on-white-paper blotter test, we can condemn an oil at the right time.

backup_200207_Editor-Hand.jpg

Notice PIN rise is very non-linear with miles or time, near zero for much of the time, then BAM.

... from a Machinery Lubrication article http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/77/gm's-oil-life-system-improves-timing-of-oil-change

Last edited:
I 'may' go ahead and do the next UOA at ~12.5k... I am in the middle of a 2k+ vacation trip, and may actually dump the oil and keep the MG filter and put a fresh fill in. This next fill I plan on doing a full treat of Lubegard Bio/Tech right off the bat to see how it helps TBN and wear. All depends how I feel when I get back, may go to 15k. This UOA finally convinced me that 6500-7k is not the upper end of Odyssey OCIs!

I honestly think the oil is doing awesome by itself. I like Lubeguard products and have used the biotech before years ago in my 2004 accord. No noticeable difference in wear or fuel mileage with the Lubeguard. It did noticeably raise my phosphorous level and put it a few hundred higher than zinc. I will try to find the old report and post it.

This was older report using Lubeguard bio tech with redline 5w20-noticeably increased moly and exponentially increased phosphorous levels.

This is a 2004 Honda Accord 2.4 engine 108,000 on car-11,900 on oil between 7-8 months of service. I added nearly two quarts of oil (last added about 1500 miles before changing the oil) in the duration with a four ounce Auto RX maintenance dose. I also threw in some lubeguard engine additive at about two thousand miles of service. I always keep the oil right at the tip and likely add oil quicker than should although I noticed redline seems to consume a little more oil than Amsoil 0w20 and neo 5w 30 I used before. The Neo 5w30 used lead as an additive and wondered if some of the lead may still be from that although changed the Neo out two oil changes ago. The Neo registered about 280 lead when had analyzed before. I used an Amsoil EAO13 filter that was new and an oilguard bypass filter (10) which had about 23 thousand miles on it. My radiator was replaced about two years ago after hitting a deer. The radiator broke and leaked coolant right before the oil was changed and the engine temperature was between the middle and redline on the way to the garage where I had the oil changed. I used half redline SL from Advanced Auto clearance over a year ago and about half just bought Redline SM bottle... I think the SM bottle has more moly in it.

ALUMINUM----------------3

CHROMIUM----------------0

IRON-----------------------12

COPPER--------------------0

LEAD-----------------------8 (not sure if remnat from neo oil)

TIN--------------------------0

MOLBDENUM---------------1112

NICKEL---------------------0

MANGANESE--------------0

SILVER----------------------0

TITANIUM------------------0

POTASSIUM----------------12

BORON---------------------5

SILICON--------------------13

SODIUM--------------------33

CALCIUM-------------------2374

MAGNESIUM---------------6