Ignition would not unlock and turn forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
so there I was trying to buy gas, needed to move back a bit to reach the right pump as I'd parked in front of a diesel pump by mistake, put the key in and wow - the ignition won't budge!! I'm like, what the ?? trying to turn the wheel a bit, and asking myself what am I doing wrong, all the while this sense that the key was bad - don't even ask me why.

I was 30 miles from my mechanic but I called him, he said it could be the key, could be the ignition, etc etc. After more futile attempts I called AAA and they sent a tow truck, the driver was saying how he'd have to drag my truck (Ford Ranger) onto his bed to tow it, and since it's locked in Park, well...I was immediately confronted with the reality of what this meant.

He saw the look on my face and said he'd do everything he could first so he didn't have to drag it - took the cover off the steering column and started messing around, eventually got it to unlock and said here you can drive it to the garage.

So I did - my mechanice couldn't figure it out either, because now it worked fine (of course!) and he thinks it might be the key - I have a spare at home, and after returning home, I examined both of them under a magnifying glass, and sure enough, the one I've been using is pretty worn on the very tip, quite smooth and no longer sharp angles.

My mechanic, Joe, had said to drive it w/the new key and see if that worked, he said the key is programmed and it's a lot of trouble to replace the ignition because the key has to be re-programmed.

There has been absolutely no indication that I've noticed that this was about to happen. Nothing, nada. It was a total and complete shock. Also I take very good care of this truck, just had the oil and fuel filter changed the week before, in fact.

This is a 2003 Ford Ranger Edge, V6, 3L, 2WD. I've had it since 2009, maybe 164,000M right now.

Thoughts?

*another aspect to this* if this DOES happen again (good lord I hope not!) what kind of tow truck do I request to make sure they can lift up my truck w/o dragging it and damaging the transmission if it's locked in Park?

Last edited:
Can you put a screw driver in that little secret slot to change the gears and put in neutral?

As long as you HAVE two programmed keys,
you can buy some blanks off of amazon & program them yourself.

Have the new keys cut to match your nicest key.
Most any key cutting machine can do that part.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
As long as you HAVE two programmed keys,
you can buy some blanks off of amazon & program them yourself.

Have the new keys cut to match your nicest key.
Most any key cutting machine can do that part.

no kidding? I thought I'd have to go to the dealership tho Joe muttered something about that wouldn't be necessary.

sounds like a plan - thanks!!

Originally Posted By: John_K
With my old Dakota, when the key started needing wiggled to turn I knew it was wearing out, time for a new one.

mostly the wiggle seemed to coincide w/unlocking the steering wheel so I never paid it much mind. I've driven rentals that are the same - but it could have been such a slight change over time that I didn't notice maybe?

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Can you put a screw driver in that little secret slot to change the gears and put in neutral?

maybe you didn't read the entire post? it's fine now (knock on wood)

but what secret slot do you mean? can you post a photo or tell me what to google for?

My ford expe is starting to display some similar symptoms. The key rotation is not as smooth as it was. I dont know if it is the lock cylinder or not or maybe the ignition switch. Is this what you had in beginning ?

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
My ford expe is starting to display some similar symptoms. The key rotation is not as smooth as it was. I dont know if it is the lock cylinder or not or maybe the ignition switch. Is this what you had in beginning ?

I didn't really think much about it being sticky or difficult but now that I've switched keys, I do believe it's responding faster and smoother. the actual turning on of the engine was never a problem tho.

I'm looking now at Rock Auto at their pre-programmed keys and ignition lock cyclinder available from Dorman. I might just go ahead and replace it; this was a major inconvenience and not something I'd want to happen in the dead of winter or on a highway trip - or phooey - anywhere any time, who am I kidding ?

Last edited:
The Ford cylinder you build to your existing keys. I do them all the time, it is pretty easy. Had a shop buy the listed Dorman one for their vehicle and the keys provided were not correct so the vehicle refused to start.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The Ford cylinder you build to your existing keys. I do them all the time, it is pretty easy. Had a shop buy the listed Dorman one for their vehicle and the keys provided were not correct so the vehicle refused to start.

this Dorman set is the ignition lock cylinder along with a set of pre-programmed keys - so I would be replacing the lock cylinder along with a set of keys that have already been matched -

sounds like you only bought the key and that didn't work?

No no, I would never buy a Dorman set since I literally have a bin full of Ford ones about 20 feet away from me at work. The Dorman setup requires you to have 2 keys where with the Ford setup you keep your original key, just build the cylinder which is super easy.

I would not use Dorman for anything like this. Just asking for trouble.

Also, carry a cresent wrench if it happens again. You can go under the truck and take the nut off the cable to the gear selector on the side of the trans, and pop it in neutral by hand. Just make sure the park brake works and block the tires so it doesnt start rolling while you're under it.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
No no, I would never buy a Dorman set since I literally have a bin full of Ford ones about 20 feet away from me at work. The Dorman setup requires you to have 2 keys where with the Ford setup you keep your original key, just build the cylinder which is super easy.

I do have 2 keys.

also not sure the point of you having a bin of Ford ones near you - ?? I certainly don't!
grin.gif

also the point is *not* to keep the original key as that's what's worn - and if the key is worn, chances are the cylinder is too -

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I would not use Dorman for anything like this. Just asking for trouble.

Also, carry a cresent wrench if it happens again. You can go under the truck and take the nut off the cable to the gear selector on the side of the trans, and pop it in neutral by hand. Just make sure the park brake works and block the tires so it doesnt start rolling while you're under it.

thanks for this - I will write this down and make sure any tow truck that comes in the future is aware of this - I don't think this guy was (in fact I know he wasn't).

just checked Ford's website - they want + $100 for a new cylinder - !!! why on earth would I want to pay that much for this part - so far there's been no convincing argument that Dorman is any less suitable -

Ive installed several Dorman parts, and I always end up going back and buying OE ford part. The most recent was the oil cooler hoses I put on my car. I had the same issue. It was $35 for the Dorman hose set vs $150 for the Ford set. I put the dorman ones on. Within a year the rubber sheath on the outside of the hose was cracked wide open, letting water into the steel braid that reinforces the hose. Letting it rust away and weaken the hose. A few months ago I bought the $150 Ford hoses and replaced the 2 year old Dorman ones as I was not happy with leaving the potential engine failure on the table to a set of ever weakening oil cooler hoses.

I mean, if this is something you wanna trade in or sell in the next year, then yeah, save your money on the Dorman. But if you're planning on keeping the rig, just remember the original part made 15 years and 160,000mi.

I used to work beside a tow lot in Southie. Guys would tilt the bed, back up fast and stomp on the brake with the tow cable in neutral. It would take several jerks to drop off the vehicle. Unless it was wet out.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back