Oil Filter Switched at Store - Check Your Filters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess they even know fram ultra are the better filters. I was at Wal-Mart today and bought an ultra to change my oil. While I was paying the box fell open and out rolled a supertech. Someone pulled the old switcheroo. So they switched boxes and paid two bucks verses eight but probably bought the wrong weight oil to save a few $$ and will run it out to 15k miles. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Always open an egg carton to make sure you don't buy broken eggs.
2) Always open an oil filter carton!

I've never had it happen to me but I always check the filter contents to make sure I am getting the right filter.
They probably see me opening boxes and think there is our [censored].

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I guess we need a sealed box with a window to stop the loser's..
Bosch does this, I think. But who would buy a Bosch anyway?
lol.gif

I know guys. I know! I usually do. Today I was feeling kinda carefree but it snapped me back to reality real quick. I almost just bought the supertech but not knowing if they are well made I didn't chance it. It's going into a 13 Nissan Altima with Mobil 0-20w synthetic. Oci at 7500.

The ONE TIME I didn't check the Fram Ultra box I got home and pulled out an Orange Can when changing the oil on the Uplander. It made me so mad, the old oil filter was crushed already from removal so its not like I could just stick it back on. The Orange Can is fine, but I paid the extra money for an Ultra that I use for multiple OCI. So I paid more money for an Orange Can AND I have to take the time to get under the car and change it again this next OCI.

Didn't realize this was such a common problem. The Ultras I have bought have always been sealed. They do have cameras in the aisle in the filter section

This crime is not limited to oil and filters. I clean my swimming pool filter once a year with hydrochloric acid purchased at the pool store. The last time, the seal was missing from the jug. The "acid" turned out to be tap water. I guess the standard procedure going forward is to trust no one and check everything for tampering.

I open mine before I head to the check out. I check to make sure they're not caved in and the proper part number. Nothing worse than dropping the old filter and the new one is the wrong filter. I prefill my oil filters and it sucks if it's wrong and I don't catch it.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

Years ago I bought used motor oil. Lesson learned, always check EVERYTHING before you buy it.

It gets even worse when there is a clearance.
With the TG on clearance at Walmart, I have seen quite a few Ultra boxes and one Mobil 1 filter box opened with a TG in them. Same thing happened with the High Mileage filter clearance.

Did not happen with the Bosch Distance Plus clearance, as mentioned above, those are in clear boxes, so easy to see (although most clerks at Walmart would not notice a Fram Ultra or M1 in the clear box).

I have luckily never bought a swapped filter, and for the past few years I have always checked (although I did buy 2 Wix filters once from O'Reilly Auto, and one of them was the wrong filter number (only off by a digit or two, similar size filter, identical size box, different thread, and did not notice till I had prefilled the one that did not fit).

John K, I tried to exchange some jugs of oil at the local WM and they almost wouldn't do it. Guess they've been burned too many times with folks returning used oil for refund. They finally relented after I showed them the seals were still intact and you could see the clean oil on the side with the fill lines. With filters, it might be only a "buck or two" thievery most of the time, but it adds up and we all end up paying for it in the end. I agree that windows on boxes or something similar is the only way to stop it.

I don't know why anyone shops at Walmart anymore. I've had issues with buying oil there as have others. Not surprised about filters either. Is it a retail store or a fleemart? If jack wagons take the time to swap filters to save $2, what else in the store are they destroying? It's not worth my time or the risk.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

I NEVER open the egg carton....I can stand to lose 15 cents....lol

My trip to buy eggs last week and I had to go through 4 cartons to find one w/o any broken eggs. Usually I don't find them broken.

Have bought over 50 quarts of oil from Walmart over the past couple of years....have yet to run into used oil or broken seals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back