Trans replacement in 2010 Yaris

Status
Not open for further replies.

My daughters 2010 Yaris with 70K needs a transmission rebuild. A local shop near her school told her they can get a hold of a good salvaged one with 49k. Install with 1 year warranty is $1760. Is this a reasonable price?? She is 5 hours away from me so she is doing all the running around.

Last edited:
I'm surprised it requires a rebuild so early!
Did you check the fluid recently? How did it look? When last was the last time the fluid was changed? What are the symptoms the car is showing of it's failure?

EDIT: sorry, didn't see the part that she's 5 hours away from you

Originally Posted By: JC1
Did she get a second opinion about the tranny?

Yes and I told her to get a third.

Is the new one only going to last till 80k also? Thats only 30k miles from now. Think id use that money towards a different car

There's always the rare failure for no good reason. Stuff happens.

But that's pretty low miles for it to go. Even with no fluid changes. Toyota (err Aisin) has been making 4AT's for like ever, and they seem pretty robust. I'd want a second opinion too. Again, anything can up and break; but it might be worth a bit more diagnosis. What is it doing / not doing?

It whines under load. Axles, bearings, sensors have all been checked by Toyota and general mechanic shops. Poor kid has already spent well over a 1K including new tires. As most college kids she is working part time but doesn't have the money for everyone to experiment. She loves the car and the book value is there.

Why not have the shop that's willing to put a used transmission in it disassemble her current transmission first maybe there's a simple failure

I agree with the above comments.. I've seen other transmissions start to act like they were dying, when all it took was a good drain&fill cycle and they were all good again. Are you saying that all three diagnoses were the same?

Unless if she can replace the car for what, $6k? then she is better off fixing. $6k if she sells as-is (that's a wild guess for a sale price on a good-condition Yaris with a bad trans). If she truly "loves" the car then it may be better to fix.

Not sure what could go wrong, just living with a loud transmission. Keep an eye on the fluid, and when it goes brown and/or glittery, then do something? Maybe she'll get lucky and it'll last long enough--either out of college, or until she can better afford to fix. Maybe pad it along a bit, by hitching rides and using public transportation, whenever possible. Change the fluid and hope for the best! [In this case I would drop the filter and replace, or at least check. Maybe you'll get lucky and it's just a bad seal on the filter?]

It'd be nice to do a teardown, but you have to pay for that, and the car is down until it's back together. So I'm not sure that is a good option. Not if it's required on a regular and often basis.

If she has someone she trusts to work on it I'd have her get a transmission fluid and filter change. At this point all she'll be out is the cost of the service if it doesn't work. OTOH it might fix things.

Take a look at car-part.com and search the salvage yard parts yourself.

I would deal with LKQ or Greenleaf Auto, they can put a warranty on the salvage yard parts.

The cost of the trans is more than my entire 2003 Echo is worth. Is your daughters trans an automatic? I guess it is

The online discounters sell the Toyota transmission for about 2100.00. Of course the 1000.00 core is a bit off a drag, but still...

How much of the 1760 is parts/labor/tax/incidentals.

failure is very unusual. I'd say the price for the used transmission is fair. did she ever get the car stuck in the snow and rev the snot out of it? besides a random failure, winter abuse is the most common cause of failure for that transmission.

Pan drop and filter change is a cheap experiment before you replace anything.
If a new car looms on the horizon tell her to buy a manual - less troublesome overall.

Pan drop and fluid / filter change solved nothing. Nothing bad found in pan either. At this point we will go with the second hand one a say a prayer.

I know Camrys of that era had a whine that turned out to be the alternator. Any other performance issues with it? Critic on here might have some ideas about this. I checked carcomplaints.com and nothing was on there. Only two transmission complaints and neither was about a whine. Even the 2012 Camry has a whine sometimes. But there's a recall for the torque converter replacement along with some other updates for 7yrs/150k miles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back