Did Fram change the Ultra?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

When Fram went from recommending the Ultra for 15K to 20K did anything inside the filter change?....or did they just realize that it could go further?

It seems Mobil 1 oil filters went to a 20K recommendation when they introduced Mobil 1 AP without changing anything about the filter....

Is that 20k based on using a Mobil1 filter + Mobil1 AP?

I don't trust the average end user when it comes to things like oil filters and oils.. I can see a lot of people misunderstanding something and ending up with a sludged up engine.

Seems MotorKing (Jay, the Fram rep here) said they (Fram) have found that the Ultra could easily handle the 15,000 mile interval, and found even 20,000 miles was not a problem, so they changed the numbers, but nothing inside the filter itself changed.
Current Ultra with 15k on the box can be used for 20k if you so choose. Several examples here of them going that long before the box changed.

And before anyone says it, no, Fram probably would not warranty an Ultra with 15k on the box (they could check by date code) that caused an engine problem @ 18k miles, but is that really an issue?

I think it is a good thing. Many manufacturers are going to a 10,000 mile OCI, and some still also recommend changing the filter every other change, so this allows the Ultra to meet OEM intervals.
But then again, if OEM says it is OK to do 20,000 miles on an OEM filter, shouldn't all filters be able to handle it?

I remember reading Motorking's post where he said that even 30k miles is doable with a clean engine and good synthetic (better than SuperTech, but does not have to be RedLine/AmsOil), but due to legal stuff the filter is not advertised as a 30k filter. That is assuming the oil gets changed with the filter and is just topped off. If the oil is changed every 10k, then most synthetics will do, even SuperTech or Napa. And filter can be changed every 3rd or 4th OCI.

Could you provide a link for that? Or at least, do you remember when he posted that? I did a quick search from Google for Motorking ultra 30,000 and didn't see anything.

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
I remember reading Motorking's post where he said that even 30k miles is doable with a clean engine and good synthetic (better than SuperTech, but does not have to be RedLine/AmsOil), but due to legal stuff the filter is not advertised as a 30k filter. That is assuming the oil gets changed with the filter and is just topped off. If the oil is changed every 10k, then most synthetics will do, even SuperTech or Napa. And filter can be changed every 3rd or 4th OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Motorking
The reality is the Ultra could go 30k miles BUT, like all companies we have lawyers that evaluate risk and choose to err on the side of caution. Most likely in northern states that use salt on the roads, the can could rust before the filter was full.
Hope this helps and always remember that if you choose to have extended intervals, use the best quality oil that meets the vehicles specs.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4029169/Flow_vs_efficiency

From Dec 2016 talking about the ultra:

They can go 30k provided they do not get dented, smashed, rusted, the oil is top shelf and checked added when needed. The 15k is just risk mitigation.

Also from Dec 2016:
Originally Posted By: Familyman
Is this really good for a 15k oci (the claim on the box)?? Has any one here ran one of these for that long? What about this filter makes it capable of such a long drain ? Thanks for any insight you have. It would be sweet to only change my filter every third oci.

What gives it the ability to go that far is capacity. Most Ultra models can hold 25-32 grams of dirt to full. Given that the dirtiest of engines make around a gram per 1000 miles, they easily go the distance. Lots of filters have great capacity and still are not rated to 15k. Why? Construction and filter media. Synthetic glass microfiber media filters will never degrade when immersed in oil. Typical cellulose/synthetic blends can and will degrade over time. The silicone adbv also stays pliable forever. Stay tuned, we will be upping the mileage interval on these in 2017.

Thanks guys... so my Ultra's that say 15K are the same as the newer 20K filters.
That's good to know.

I guess the Bosch Distance Plus filters that I got at WM on 'Clearance' could also go 20K since they are rated to hold a similar amount of dirt (grams).

It all depends on how clean your engine is-if you're cleaning out a sludge monster, it might not make 5K! I've personally taken an XG3600 to 20K on two 10K OCIs, it looked like it could have gone another 20K.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I guess the Bosch Distance Plus filters that I got at WM on 'Clearance' could also go 20K since they are rated to hold a similar amount of dirt (grams).

Yeah, they are supposed to be as good (or better) for capacity.
Only thing is they are a cellulose/synthetic blend, so per Motorkings post above, longevity (time, no so much mileage) could be a factor (but probably not).
I have 2 of the D+ that are oversize for my Scion (PH3600 size) that I am debating running for 2 oil changes (only 10,000 miles total, but over 18 months at the current use). I still have 3 CQ Blue to use before I get to that.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

And before anyone says it, no, Fram probably would not warranty an Ultra with 15k on the box (they could check by date code) that caused an engine problem @ 18k miles, but is that really an issue?

The new ones have painted markings, vs the sticker and they look more like the first version of the sticker without the light grey grid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back