Talk me out of an $85,000 SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title suggests I am seriously considering purchasing a new model Toyota Land Cruiser. (And no I would not consider the Lexus version).
For the money if not more I can have picks at a truly exotic, bonafide sports car instead.

No comment on the Land Cruiser but the Lexus version somebody I know traded their Escalade for it and then turned around and traded for another Escalade, too many fancy features

If a nice sports car is an option, why on earth are you even considering an SUV?

I like them as well but these days my priorities have changed.
Go for it if it is what you want. I'm thinking of a mid range VW Atlas.
I'm getting cheap these days.

Originally Posted By: GenSan
As the title suggests I am seriously considering purchasing a new model Toyota Land Cruiser. (And no I would not consider the Lexus version).
For the money if not more I can have picks at a truly exotic, bonafide sports car instead.

OK, so this is obviously a want and not a need, in which case, which one do you really want? Should be a pretty simple choice...

For the same $$ you could buy two loaded 4Runners or Jeep Grand Cherokees and have money left over. Either of the lower cost vehicles can be equipped to have equal or better off road ability.

Sure the Land Cruiser is nice inside, but so are vehicles mentioned above.

The Land Crusher may be the most off-road capable luxobrage that you can buy, but 85K is a lot of bread for an old-school truck.
Do you want a luxury car or a real off-road capable machine with decent interior space?
If the former, there are many choices for many tastes at this price point. If the latter, something like a Wrangler Unlimited might be a good pick for less than half the coin.
Also, 85K won't buy you much new in anything that could be considered authentically exotic.
Used, you can buy a whole lot for a whole lot less, but it probably wouldn't be long before the 85K was gone between purchase price and the inevitable repairs for which parts from RA or AAP with discount code won't be a part of the picture.

The Land Crusher is a real legend. nIf you have the money and the determination to buy one, I can imagine worse cars to spend money on.

Do you really need a luxury offroading SUV?

My shoutout would be a 3/4 ton 4x4 crew cab standard bed HD work truck.

My pick would be a 2018 Tahoe with the 6.2L & 10 speed auto, add a 4 inch lift and real tires.
Tata! Friends don't let friends drive F***s.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
For a Toyota no. A range Rover maybe.

Is a wife a party to this decision?

Land Cruiser will walk over the Range Rover in ability, reliability, and resale value seven days a week.

Originally Posted By: GenSan

Land Cruiser > Everything else

If you have the coin, there is no better SUV on the market.

My dad is a retired attorney and I have 4 siblings. While growing up, my mom had the soccer mobile while my dad drove something sporty. My dad had an 85' Olds 442 and later a 90' Camaro Iroc-Z. If you really don't need a people hauler, get something sporty and refined. A new Infiniti Q60 with the 400 HP V6 and AWD would be hard to beat.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
You could buy a rental property that pays you every month. Or buy a depreciating asset. Your choice.

So if your a $500K a year cardiac surgeon, you should drive a ____________?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back